STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Favorite Book: “Cannery Row” by John Steinbeck showed me that some happiness can always be found

Soccerchick55
Cannery Row is a vivid tale about a fictitious town called Monterey in California. The people that live on Cannery Row are not just average Joes. The characters all have their own bad luck or misfortune but, they live together happy at times in their community. This book showed me even people down on their luck and in bad situations can find some happiness in their lives.
The main characters are in a group called Mack and the boys. These young men live in the Palace Flophouse which use to be called the old fish meal shack. They don’t have much in the way of money and their home isn’t anything close to a palace. They still find ways to be happy. If most people in their position would be very miserable not knowing where their next meal is coming from or even having to resort to stealing. Mack and the boys just keep right on going enjoying the flow of their life. Even when the whole town hated them for throwing a party for Doc which went horribly wrong they turned their situation around. When all the people in a small town hate you and you can’t even show your face at the grocery store without getting dirty looks it’s hard to stay positive. They did after awhile make it better. They made it up to Doc by giving him another party which went well this time and even gave him presents. Mack and the boys always found a way to be happy.
Another a character who lives on Cannery Row is Mrs. Talbot. She lives with her husband Tom and she loves to give parties. She would give parties all the time and sometimes for no reason at all except Mr. and Mrs. Talbot were very poor and always had to scrape to get by. At one her parties she had no money for food so she cut out a picture of a ham from a magazine put I on a plate for all her guests to admire. She had to give parties not only because she likes them but, to keep Tom from being depressed. Mrs. Talbot’s parties and the joy that just eluded from her helped lift Tom’s sprit and make him ignore the heaping mound of debt. With barley nothing she could still manage to fill their little house with happiness and laughter. She found happiness where many others wouldn’t have looked.
Cannery Row showed me a town with many citizens down on their luck who managed to get by and even find happiness. How these poor people in bad situations found a way to see the joy in their life was truly inspiring to me. These characters are only a few depicted in this Steinbeck’s novel and I wish many others would find these interesting tales inspiring to them.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy