My Favorite Book: Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen, a book that presents hope.

EmiliaCristy
Lock and Key is a novel of Sarah Dessen’s that illustrates a young women’s coming of age. The main character in the story, Ruby, lives with an abusive mother who abandons her for three months. Ruby is found by her rich sister who she has not seen for ten years. Ruby feels resentful and out of place. She longs for her eighteenth birthday so she can declare herself free of the foster care system. Ruby’s time with her sister introduces Ruby to a boy named Nate. Ruby assumes he is a rich, spoiled kid but finds his life is as problematic as hers. She struggles to help him, as she never accepted help in a time of need. This novel causes a yearning of the heart through its propitious plot.
This novel helped me realize the serendipity I have in my life. It opened my eyes to the many people that are stereotyped as, the “rich and happy” actually come face to face with many disheartening struggles. Throughout my life I have felt almost resentful to the fact that my mother had to raise me alone. After reading this novel I feel gracious to my mom for providing many wonderful opportunities to myself and putting me before everything. Ruby’s mother abandons her in the novel, and when she was “there” to “take care of Ruby”, she was never actually there in essence, she was in a world of her own, drunk and aloof. I was immediately sentimental when I read the situation Ruby was in. This novel taught me to forgive, and always assume the best, or at least try.
Ruby was a very pessimistic person simply because of the hardships she had faced. Ruby did not know how to accept her sisters help because she felt abandoned by her. In reality her sister tried to reach out to Ruby throughout the years, their mother had intercepted her efforts. This part of the novel made me realize that even if something as seemingly horrendous as abandonment from a relative has occurred, there may be another side to the tale. Optimism and forgiveness can help clear the fog of the dismal views, many find easier to accept. I realized that it is better to forgive a person, than hold a grudge on them indefinitely, because they may have gone through road-blocks in their life as well. If one forgives, there is only room for joy and content. Ruby was able to forgive her sister, and learn to help others through her experiences.
Through this novel, Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen, I learned the tactics of hope, forgiveness, help, and optimism. Ruby was able to overcome her life's grievances and help a friend. She reconnected with her family through perseverance and forgiveness. She learned to hope, and find that life could indeed get better. I now view my life as fortunate, and welcome any experience with open arms, it may shape me to become a strong person.