My Favorite Book: “The Book Thief” by Markus Zusak is probably the most important book I’ve ever rea

45toads
The funny thing is, dear reader, is that the very thing that I learned from Markus Zusak in “The Book Thief,” is the very same thing that this writing prompt is trying to illustrate; the power of words.

Growing up, I, like everyone else, read books. I liked to read. The fact that such a complex and entertaining piece of life came in the form of words fascinated me. I knew that words were capable of things. But in no way did I yet know the true power of words, and what they are capable of. As I grew up, I started to realize some horrible truths about humans and the world around me; I started to understand that sometimes there was no “good guy,” and that my idea of the “bad guy,” was becoming less and less of childhood story. I discovered these truths through many things, mostly the media, but the media really couldn’t compare to how books could show them. One book in particular brought out these ugly truths and hung them by their neck for me to see. This book, as I’m sure you already know, is “The Book Thief.” Keeping spoilers to myself, the book is narrated by none other than Death himself. As you would expect, it isn’t a happy story. It follows a young girl named Liesel Meminger, and her struggle that leads her to discover the power of words. It’s a fascinating journey that takes you along with her, and it’s on this journey that I truly realized the power of words.

Some ask why Adolf Hitler had so much power, and I will tell you, reader, it was the words. He had power because he was so influential; he assembled an army with what? His fists? No, with words. Words can be far more powerful than any gleaming knife or rusty bullet, I assure you. Words have the power to make you feel anything, to make you do anything. This is illustrated exceptionally well in “TBT,” as it shows you how words can drive people to do the most inhumane and genuinely horrible things. Fear not, however, because “TBT” also shows how words can be used for extremely positive things. It was the words that got Liesel through hard times in her life, and it was the words that Liesel used to help and calm everyone in their time of need. In an otherwise horrible world, words brought beauty and happiness to the people in “The BT,” and this book taught me that as well. It reinforced my understanding of the power of letters and words and sentences.

So did this book inspire me? Did it make me want to completely change my outlook on life? Not exactly. But I do think that everyone should read this book, for it relays a powerful message that not many other books can.