STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My favorite book: Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher made me realize I"m not a crazy party-er

savedbythekell
A tube of deep red lipstick sat on the bed, inviting me to let it dance across my lips. The beautiful sequined lace black gown hung impatiently in the closet, waiting to enswathe me in its silky, form-fitting layers. My new DSW black pumps might as well have been Louboutins, I was so excited to wear them. The appropriate fixings were in place. I was ready to get ready. Well, after I finished 13 Reasons Why. The clock crept on, and the pages turned. Instead of channeling my inner prima donna, I came up with 13 reasons why Audrey Jeanette’s quince just wasn’t that important. My social life could take the blow.

You see, I was lost within the inside of Hannah Baker’s words. I felt the confusion, the stomach-dropping points that Clay Jensen felt. I understood the sadness of the situation, never having actually experienced anything like it. Hannah Baker is the “main focus” of this novel. I would say main character, but from page 1, Hannah was dead. She committed suicide, leaving tapes behind giving her “thirteen reasons why.” They were to be listened to by each recipient, each reason, then passed along to the next, altering their lives forever. These heart-wrenching tapes give stories of her being hurt so badly; her very desire to live expired. Each cut was deeper, each reason more inclining, each story ebbing on the very edge of human indecency. Until Clay’s story. He was probably why she didn’t do it earlier. He was her sunshine. Her only sunshine. But someone took that sunshine away, creating exhibit A: the most depressing, but also the most curious, book I’ve read.

Yep, this book was a thinker. It was also a crier. This was the first book to provoke tears out of my rock-hard facade. That stupid mascara stuff ran down my face, and I looked something like I would imagine a back-alley drug dealer would at 3:00 am. Asher provoked thoughts on if I could ever listen to tapes like that. It made me wonder if I ever know I’m going to die, if I would leave something like this. Not that I would ever take the beautiful gift of my life intentionally, but if I had cancer, maybe I would. My last gift could be to give other people the insight of my head, my thoughts on the “last chapter,” just as Hannah did. Additionally, this novel changed me as a human being to be nicer. This is because it made me hope I will never be part of anyone’s “13 reasons why.” Which I really hope I’m not for Audrey. Since I skipped her quince and all.

Ironically, I wrapped the book and gave to Audrey on the following Monday, attaching a handmade card and a re-gifted gift card. Well, I hope she likes GameStop. I’m sure she does. Most 15-year-old girls do, right?
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy