STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Favorite Book: "The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch taught me to overcome brick walls

Papples
Over a year ago, I wrote an essay based on a line from Randy Pausch’s novel, “The Last Lecture.” This book chronicles the last messages and lessons of a computer science professor who wants to impart to the world before he dies of pancreatic cancer. At first, I was a bit hesitant to read it, as it wasn’t even fiction. However, I learned about a month later that Pausch had sadly passed away (July 25, 2008). Google featured a small message in memoriam to the college professor. After learning more about him from Google, I was inspired to give this book a chance. I was not disappointed.
Pausch has had the unique pleasure of being able to accomplish many of his childhood dreams. Readers follow his dreams from its origin up to its completion, even if they aren’t always achieved in expected ways. Along the way, Pausch imparts pieces of his wisdom. The lessons conveyed to his readers have a universal appeal that can apply to children and graduate students alike. My favorite takeaway from “The Last Lecture” is overcoming brick walls. Pausch repeats the idea that all of his dreams could only be achieved by defeating obstacles and never giving up. Pausch explains how he constantly kept up his resolve and what he did to surpass the various brick walls. For example, he wanted to be an astronaut when he was younger, but later simplified this goal to experiencing zero gravity. As a teacher, he discovered he could not accompany his students in flying inside the reduced gravity aircraft. Instead of surrendering, Pausch discovered he could join the group as a media representative of Carnegie Mellon University (the university he taught at).
By leading through examples, Pausch helped me understand that the brick walls were indicators of how badly I wanted something. I experienced a brick wall first hand when I auditioned for the Bergen County Band. I’ve auditioned for this band with my alto saxophone since 7th grade, and had never made it. I felt extremely discouraged. My music teacher, though she proactively gave me music and encouraged me, could not dedicate the time to review music with me and make sure I was hitting my music scales correctly. Because I was struggling, I considered quitting. However, after I read “The Last Lecture”, I realized that the tough auditions were designed to separate the most passionate musicians from the more apathetic players. I practiced harder than ever, sought out guidance from other musicians in my band, and eventually made it into the County Band for the first time.
There are many other important messages in Pausch’s book, but I don’t want to spoil any more than I already have. Pausch has lived an incredible life that many of us, as young adults venturing into a time of maturity and professionalism, strive to mimic. He’s had an amazing family, inspired a huge audience, and ultimately lived out his childhood dreams. And he’s inspired me to do the same.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy