STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I'm Goin' Through Changes

Jokergurl
It's scary your first day of high school as a small freshman. You get bullied by seniors, and in my case shoved in a locker by your best friend and future boyfriend. But one of the greatest high school experiences was being in the marching band. People think marching band is for geeks. Not true, it gives you discipline, coordination, and will-power. Being outside in the middle of August for a week from 8am to 9pm takes strong students and a strong mind frame.
I didn't play an instrument, I twirled the flag. And sometimes that's much more dangerous than playing music. Those poles when they fly, and the flags themselves cut your face apart in the wind and crack your skull if you hit yourself with them. But the worst part was seeing our band dwindle over the years.
My freshman year we had about 150 members of the band, almost 20 in the guard. Then over the years is kept shrinking. People graduated, and then incoming freshman weren't many. This year I've been out of high school for almost 4 years. Our band is now less than 40, and 4 guard members. It is pathetic how the school system cuts funding for the arts and music. They want to keep kids off the streets from selling drugs and getting into gangs. But how can we do this if they keep cutting extra curricular programs? Guard was my life, to the point I was named captain my senior year with my best friend. and now kids will not have that same chance I did.
Rate this:
Comment by MikkiB326

The situation at my school is the same; although, it's not because of budget cuts. It's because students genuinely do not want to participate. It's a shame. The people in band and guard are the sweetest, kindest, craziest people I know. As a cheerleader in concert, but not marching, band, I admire their dedication. When girls on my squad complain that their latest pep tune is ready to be played yet, or they're extremely quiet, I stick up for the marching band. I know how difficult it is to memorize music, play it in freezing weather, be loud, and play for a long period of time. Props to you for sticking with what makes you a better person; giant group, or four people strong.

With Love,
Makayla
High School Editor for Stage of Life
Posted: Sunday, November 4, 2012 1:18:24 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy