I'm Goin' Through Changes

Jokergurl
It's scary your first day of high school as a small freshman. You get bullied by seniors, and in my case shoved in a locker by your best friend and future boyfriend. But one of the greatest high school experiences was being in the marching band. People think marching band is for geeks. Not true, it gives you discipline, coordination, and will-power. Being outside in the middle of August for a week from 8am to 9pm takes strong students and a strong mind frame.
I didn't play an instrument, I twirled the flag. And sometimes that's much more dangerous than playing music. Those poles when they fly, and the flags themselves cut your face apart in the wind and crack your skull if you hit yourself with them. But the worst part was seeing our band dwindle over the years.
My freshman year we had about 150 members of the band, almost 20 in the guard. Then over the years is kept shrinking. People graduated, and then incoming freshman weren't many. This year I've been out of high school for almost 4 years. Our band is now less than 40, and 4 guard members. It is pathetic how the school system cuts funding for the arts and music. They want to keep kids off the streets from selling drugs and getting into gangs. But how can we do this if they keep cutting extra curricular programs? Guard was my life, to the point I was named captain my senior year with my best friend. and now kids will not have that same chance I did.
Comment by MikkiB326

The situation at my school is the same; although, it's not because of budget cuts. It's because students genuinely do not want to participate. It's a shame. The people in band and guard are the sweetest, kindest, craziest people I know. As a cheerleader in concert, but not marching, band, I admire their dedication. When girls on my squad complain that their latest pep tune is ready to be played yet, or they're extremely quiet, I stick up for the marching band. I know how difficult it is to memorize music, play it in freezing weather, be loud, and play for a long period of time. Props to you for sticking with what makes you a better person; giant group, or four people strong.

With Love,
Makayla
High School Editor for Stage of Life
Posted: Sunday, November 4, 2012 1:18:24 PM