STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Sports Traditions: I Don’t Have to Watch the Sports World, Because I Live In It

Elizabeth
“Now remember, basketball is a lot like life….” my dad begins to mumble as we chat in the car after yet another Saturday afternoon spent on the court. Sports have been an intricate part of my life, long before high school even started. My dad is head of NJB: the National Junior Basketball Association. I am the middle child of four siblings and each of us played multiple sports growing up. Basketball, volleyball, baseball, softball, flag football, swim, soccer, golf, that week of water polo, the list goes on. It was simply engrained in us: If you are a (Insert Our Last Name)*, you play sports.
On one hand, sports created an incredible amount of pressure. I used to (and still do) get extremely nervous before games, petrified that I would play bad. My dad coaches basketball and is not afraid of giving me advice (read correcting me) on what I’m doing poorly. At times, sports can seem all-consuming, always at the top of the “to do list”. Sometimes, it may even be hard to differentiate between my dad being a critical coach or a well-meaning father, but only because he cares.
But on another level, sports have become a way I can identify myself in my family. While girl scouts, school plays, and Open Houses were never my dad’s thing, I knew he would be actively involved in basketball. He may not remember what English class I was taking, but he would know my coach. Sports unified us. It consumes our free time and impresses on us life lessons. And my dad has the sport metaphors to prove it (seriously that could be 500 words in and of itself)
After two knee surgeries and PRP (platelet rich plasma) for a separated AC joint, basketball was always the end goal. As a senior in high school, it seems weird that my sports career might be becoming to an end soon. But, that’s the thing-the memories, the long hours, the sweat, the love of the game- they will always be there in the back of our lives, as something my family chose to do.
In some ways, I wish the sports system was different than it is now. I wish we lived in a world that neighborhoods of families could go outside and play without such a scheduled and regulated sports schedule. I wish the little league parents would understand that there is more to life than sports. But even with this, sports will always be something that I associate with my family. The long car rides to my sister’s CIF volleyball games, the discussion of which sports my younger sister should choose, the jokes to my brother telling him that with his long, dangly legs he could be an Olympic runner: these are all memories that are tangible and engrained into the fiber of my family.
At the end of the day, it is just a game, but it’s a game that completed my family.
Rate this:
Comment by bugcandy

Congrats - your essay is one of our finalists in our Sports & Family Traditions writing contest!

Our judges will be naming the Runner's Up and Winner on around Nov. 15th. You can check this page to review the status of your essay: http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensandSports.aspx

Thanks for sharing your essay on StageofLife.com and entering our writing contest. Feel free to share this news of being named a finalist with your friends and family. I hope to see more of your writing on the site.

Take care,

Eric
CEO, StageofLife.com

P.S. If you haven't already, we hope you entered this month's essay contest.
Posted: Thursday, November 8, 2012 6:29:09 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy