Sports Traditions: Family of Sports Junkies

Gio
Givonti Youngblood
11th Grade

Sports are a big thing in my family that is discussed all the time. The reason it is such a big thing is because I live in a group home and all of us watch football and basketball. As a family we do not have a favorite team; we all have different ones even though some of our favorite teams are the same. All of us are sports junkies because, we love our team, plus some of our teams are rivals and it can get pretty competitive. What makes the competition so intense is that we have this competition called "pick 'em" where there is a slate of football games NFL and NCAA where we would have to pick who will win for each game. There is also a tie breaker and you will have to predict the score. Weekly and season standings are updated every Thursday. What I like about the competition is at the end of the season the first place, second place, and the third place will receive a prize. Sports is such a positive thing in my family because whenever a game is on we watch it and argue about who is going to win and whenever we can get some tickets, we take advantage of it. I have had a lot of childhood memories that are positive but one is when I went on a trip for foster kids. While on the trip we were involved in a competition that we earn points for each round. We were in the last round and my team was down by one point and it was do or die. We had to shoot a half court shot and if we made it, we would win the competition but if we missed it then we lose. I was the one chosen to shoot the half court shot but I did not want to take it. A resident in my group home encouraged me to take it because he believed that I could make it. So I said to myself "If I believe in myself, I can make the shot." When it was time for me to shoot the shot I was calm and I started to dribble the ball, then I let it go. Time was moving in slow motion, it took forever for the ball to get to the rim, and when it did the ball did not even hit the rim. All I heard was the rim snap; it was what us kids call "wet." When I made the shot my face filled with excitement; the first thing I did was run to the person who encouraged me to take the shot. What that taught me was to never give up because it's not over until it's over. In conclusion my family is full of sports junkies and sports are a positive thing especially for kids.