STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Sports Traditions: Family of Sports Junkies

Gio
Givonti Youngblood
11th Grade

Sports Traditions: Family of Sports Junkies

Sports are a big thing in my family that is discussed all the time. The reason it is such a big thing is because I live in a group home and all of us watch football and basketball. As a family we do not have a favorite team; we all have different ones even though some of our favorite teams are the same. All of us are sports junkies because, we love our team, plus some of our teams are rivals and it can get pretty competitive. What makes the competition so intense is that we have this competition called "pick 'em" where there is a slate of football games NFL and NCAA where we would have to pick who will win for each game. There is also a tie breaker and you will have to predict the score. Weekly and season standings are updated every Thursday. What I like about the competition is at the end of the season the first place, second place, and the third place will receive a prize. Sports is such a positive thing in my family because whenever a game is on we watch it and argue about who is going to win and whenever we can get some tickets, we take advantage of it. I have had a lot of childhood memories that are positive but one is when I went on a trip for foster kids. While on the trip we were involved in a competition that we earn points for each round. We were in the last round and my team was down by one point and it was do or die. We had to shoot a half court shot and if we made it, we would win the competition but if we missed it then we lose. I was the one chosen to shoot the half court shot but I did not want to take it. A resident in my group home encouraged me to take it because he believed that I could make it. So I said to myself "If I believe in myself, I can make the shot." When it was time for me to shoot the shot I was calm and I started to dribble the ball, then I let it go. Time was moving in slow motion, it took forever for the ball to get to the rim, and when it did the ball did not even hit the rim. All I heard was the rim snap; it was what us kids call "wet." When I made the shot my face filled with excitement; the first thing I did was run to the person who encouraged me to take the shot. What that taught me was to never give up because it's not over until it's over. In conclusion my family is full of sports junkies and sports are a positive thing especially for kids.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy