STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Sports Traditions: Thanks, Joe-vechkin!

YouAreLoved316
About a year ago, my cousin Joseph decided to create his own sports tradition: speaking almost exclusively about ice hockey, more specifically Capitals ice hockey.

"I love the Caps! Did you know they have a shot at making the playoffs again this year?! Can I watch a video of Alexander Ovechkin on your smart phone?! Can you believe that shot he just made?!!! He's a legend!!!"

I have to admit, when he first fell for the team, I couldn't follow a thing he was saying. As in… I had never paid an iota of attention to the NHL.

So initially, I pretty much just smiled, did my best to be “polite.” But you gotta realize that Joe is equivalent to the brother I never had. When you really love someone, it’s inevitable that you will at least start to respect the items they love.

Moreover, if hockey was what he loved, then there had to be some way I could use it to teach him something worthwhile. I made it a point to bring up the Caps in conversations. I began to take note of how they were doing, and was genuinely psyched when they made the 2012 playoffs. When Joe took up hockey for himself, I promised to attend at least one of his practices and followed through. I wanted him to know that I would always be there for him and that I loved him for who he was.

What I didn't expect was all he would teach me. I asked him why he liked playing hockey so much, and he said that although it is hard work, there is plenty of time for fun. Often I find in my own life that I already get so caught up in perfectionism and achievement that I forget how life was intended to be: fun. Because so many hockey players are from outside the United States, he has also become interested in other cultures. At nine years old, he asks questions that many do not even ponder until well into adulthood:

"I love learning about other countries, like Canada and Russia and Sweden. People from those places aren't that different than us, are they? They love each other and want the world to be a better place just like we do. They‘re God‘s creatures, too."

I stare intently at someone who looks like any other schoolboy. If he can see that we're all created in the same likeness, with essentially the same desire for benevolence, why can’t we?

It’s crazy how Jesus could use something as unthinkable as a kid’s love for hockey to remind me of the innocence we were all meant to have, how it's okay not to win everything as long as you enjoy yourself while trying, how we should cherish each and every person He has made.

So here’s to the fourth grader who wound up being the best teacher I’ve ever had. Thanks, Joe-vechkin!
Rate this:
Comment by bugcandy

Congrats - your essay is one of our finalists in our Sports & Family Traditions writing contest!

Our judges will be naming the Runner's Up and Winner on around Nov. 15th. You can check this page to review the status of your essay: http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensandSports.aspx

Thanks for sharing your essay on StageofLife.com and entering our writing contest. Feel free to share this news of being named a finalist with your friends and family. I hope to see more of your writing on the site.

Take care,

Eric
CEO, StageofLife.com

P.S. If you haven't already, we hope you entered this month's essay contest.
Posted: Thursday, November 8, 2012 6:33:45 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy