Sports Traditions: Drill Team

Charlie1-3
My heart pounds. The commander calls “Fall In,” my rifle comes to Port Arms and I march until in front of my commander. Returning to Attention, I execute a Left Face.

My commander calls me to Present Arms, and then reports to the judge, “Gretna High School JROTC Armed Individual requesting permission to utilize your drill floor, Sergeant.” I live for these moments.

Rarely do I participate in activities most people consider sports. My sport is Drill and Ceremony. It may not be as physically demanding as football or track, but it does require skill and discipline, as well as countless hours of diligent practice. To become as sharp as one possibly can, I remain dedicated to drill practice. My exceptional abilities to execute have led me to serve on many divisions of the drill team. Events I march in include Platoon, Armed Squad, Unarmed Squad, and my two proudest accomplishments: Color Guard, and Armed Individual.

The events of Color Guard and Armed Individual truly are sports. They separate the better from the best. In these two events, the judges look at every single movement made. I love Color Guard and Armed Individual because they are extremely competitive, and give a chance to show off. Personally, I have placed Third in JV Armed Individual twice, Second in Varsity Armed Individual once, and I have served on numerous award winning Color Guards.

My Family has never had any kind of sports tradition. I hope that my love of drill and marching will spread to my family and friends. If the tradition of being a part of the drill team catches in my family, it would greatly please me. It would be good for them to have something that encourages them to work hard. I believe the discipline learned during drill would help them later in life as well.