STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Sports Traditions: A positive impact on my family's past, present, and future

JacobW97
Sports Traditions: A positive impact on my family’s past, present, and future
Sports have influenced my family and me in many ways throughout the generations. My family has lived in Louisiana for hundreds of years which has showed and taught us to lead healthy and active lives. The New Orleans Saints, a local professional football team, have been observed and cheered on by their local fans, including my family, for many years. Several of my older family members have played football, but most have been involved in basketball, baseball, soccer, or several at the same time. Sports have brought my family closer over the years by sucking us into the luxuries of hot food, cold drinks, and allowing us to watch our local heroes. I, myself, play soccer and it has supported me over the years by keeping me on a schedule and giving me something to work for. Living in the sportsman’s paradise affects nearly every aspect of my family’s life.
Over the years, hunting, wakeboarding, and normal sports have taught my family dedication and the will to stick together. Sports have kept my family in line and disciplined, barely ever needing correction or punishments in the home. Sports have become part of our culture and tradition in the family, never being something required, but always wanted. One day, when I was barely four years old, my mother brought me to my first LSU football game where I first learned how fun sports could be. After watching the games on television and listening to them play on the radio, LSU has remained my family’s favorite college for over two generations, partly because many of my family members attended LSU in their college years. School is the most common place to play sports, but they are not always available at a young age. The grammar school that I first attended did not offer soccer to its students, so I joined a team in Pelican Park, my local sports complex, and have played there ever since. These local parks are only recent additions to communities around Louisiana and have made the state a more active and healthy place for children to live. The older generations in my family did not have these complexes and outside of school had to play sports in their backyards, becoming part of their every day lives. To live without sports in my family would be to live without fun.
Growing up around sports has always been a commodity of living in my family. Sports have shaped and influenced the lives of my family members since before I was born, and have become parts of our lives. When I get older, I hope to pass sports on to my children and that they remain a tradition in our family. I am proud to have been given the ability to participate one of my family’s greatest past times and will never forget how much of a positive impact sports have had on my life. I believe every family should be given the privilege to carry on sports through their generations.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy