STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Sports traditions: Flipping the coin

cuttsbyrne
The day to day struggles of paying bills and having food and shelter is how my family members support one another. These struggles overshadow my personal day to day struggles with school and sports. As I have become more successful in my chosen sport with the guidance of coaches, my family has started to come together to form positive traditions.
One of the happiest days of my life was the first time “little dumb ass Rudy” did something worth mentioning. My mom went out and bought the newspaper, I had made the sports headline. But, the funny part was this was the first time she had ever been there for me. My mom does not understand the commitment physically and academically that my sport requires. My parents ask how much money I make wrestling, and my dad tells me I am wasting my time if money is not involved. How does this make for a positive family tradition? We are talking to each other. I am learning how important it is to support my children one day in whatever paths they chose.
The tradition that sports has brought to my family is they attend all my big meets, they being my mom, aunts and uncles. Because she can be proud of this accomplishment, all the relatives are invited. My dad has never attended anything. For the first time in my life, my mom is there to support me in something I am doing. Everyone wants a piece of the pie and credit when you are winner. One might see this as a negative, but for me it is positive tradition, it is the start of a tradition of family respecting me. Respect is important in a child’s life.
This tradition of respect is displayed differently in different cultures. In my home culture, it is all about honoring the parents, they are the only one’s granted respect. Unfortunately in my family, this means they created me, but at the same time that’s all they did. My family shows their faces in the wrestling community and tell people “that’s my son” when they do not know what it took to get there. One is judged totally on physical presence and on physical prowess in my culture, and now I am measuring up to the standards. No longer will I be the little boy who got socks, essentially coal, for Christmas. I have come to be who I am, for me this is a positive tradition.
Traditions are how one chooses to define them. For me a positive tradition is to change a tradition of past generations. I will be sure my children know I am there for them growing up, no matter what. Sports have created a positive influence in my life and my family traditions will follow.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy