Sports traditions: Flipping the coin

cuttsbyrne
The day to day struggles of paying bills and having food and shelter is how my family members support one another. These struggles overshadow my personal day to day struggles with school and sports. As I have become more successful in my chosen sport with the guidance of coaches, my family has started to come together to form positive traditions.
One of the happiest days of my life was the first time “little dumb ass Rudy” did something worth mentioning. My mom went out and bought the newspaper, I had made the sports headline. But, the funny part was this was the first time she had ever been there for me. My mom does not understand the commitment physically and academically that my sport requires. My parents ask how much money I make wrestling, and my dad tells me I am wasting my time if money is not involved. How does this make for a positive family tradition? We are talking to each other. I am learning how important it is to support my children one day in whatever paths they chose.
The tradition that sports has brought to my family is they attend all my big meets, they being my mom, aunts and uncles. Because she can be proud of this accomplishment, all the relatives are invited. My dad has never attended anything. For the first time in my life, my mom is there to support me in something I am doing. Everyone wants a piece of the pie and credit when you are winner. One might see this as a negative, but for me it is positive tradition, it is the start of a tradition of family respecting me. Respect is important in a child’s life.
This tradition of respect is displayed differently in different cultures. In my home culture, it is all about honoring the parents, they are the only one’s granted respect. Unfortunately in my family, this means they created me, but at the same time that’s all they did. My family shows their faces in the wrestling community and tell people “that’s my son” when they do not know what it took to get there. One is judged totally on physical presence and on physical prowess in my culture, and now I am measuring up to the standards. No longer will I be the little boy who got socks, essentially coal, for Christmas. I have come to be who I am, for me this is a positive tradition.
Traditions are how one chooses to define them. For me a positive tradition is to change a tradition of past generations. I will be sure my children know I am there for them growing up, no matter what. Sports have created a positive influence in my life and my family traditions will follow.