My Song: Anthem Part Two; Unifying a Generation

jwilson
Ever since I was very little, I have been the quiet child in my family. I am the youngest, so I suppose it comes with the job description that you learn to keep your mouth shut and your opinions to yourself. Which, generally, is what I do. I withdraw from confrontations within my family; I simply retreat to my room, shut my door, and put my headphones in. I am constantly getting in trouble with my mother for having my headphones in (which, frankly, I cannot blame her for; I have them in my ears quite often when she is trying to talk to me). But the reason for having music blaring in my mind all the time is genuine. When I was about 12, music became my escape from anything I could not face. I took comfort in the assurance that people much older and more important than me had lived through the same things, and they managed to turn their struggles into beautiful songs. I listened closely to each song, playing my favorites on repeat for hours on end. Interestingly, I was never that concerned with the tunes. I was just fascinated by the words. The way artists could so skillfully capture feelings that I had no name for stunned me. One song in particular grabbed at my heart; it was the embodiment of everything I thought only I felt.
The first time I heard the song “Anthem Part Two” by Blink-182, I was very young. Even so, the lyrics caught my attention. I tried and failed to find the name of the song, and I eventually gave up. Years later, I heard the song in a movie. The song, as well as the movie, perfectly captured the art of being young. I finally discovered the name of the song, and reveled in its bittersweet tone. The song is angry but hopeful, calling for the salvation of our generation. It claims that youth has been misled and misjudged, and we are far more proficient than adults give us credit for. While we are being overlooked, the world is falling to pieces. One line in the song stands out especially to me; “young and hostile, but not stupid.” It is the perfect way communicate what I believe; teenagers are inexperienced, young, and definitely hostile, but we are far more capable of responsibility than the world seems to give us credit for. I listen to this song when I am trying to cheer myself up after a bad day, pump myself up for a swim race, or simply when I feel like dancing. Hearing the defiant tone of unity in the song makes me feel as though I am not crazy or alone; there is a whole generation of people who feel exactly the same as I do, and they are just as ready to prove themselves.
Comment by bugcandy

Congratulations - your essay above has been named a semi-finalist in the July and August StageofLife.com writing contest (where we asked people to share a story about how music played an important role during a unique time in their life).

We had over 9,500 people from around the world visit the StageofLife.com writing contest page during the summer and nearly 200 submitted qualifying essays.

43 essays were named finalists (one of which is yours).

To read a recap of the writing contest, see links to the qualifying essays, and find out who the runners-up and winner are (announced after September 15th, 2012) visit this page: http://www.stageoflife.com/music.aspx

Our 26 Editors are now reviewing the finalists. We'll make an announcement on our Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/StageofLife) and via email when the winner is selected.

Thanks again for sharing your story on Stage of Life. Please share the news of being named a finalist with your friends, family and via Facebook / Twitter.

Great essay above, and best of luck!

Stay tuned!

Eric
CEO, StageofLife.com

P.S. If you haven't checked out the current writing contest, you can get to it from here: http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests.aspx
Posted: Thursday, September 6, 2012 7:35:26 PM