STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My song: Be "Mean" (by Taylor Swift) all you want but see if I budge

swohsmsj
As a child, I felt insecure by my physical appearance. I was a lot bigger, fatter and more mature – looking than kids my age; therefore, whenever I did something, I would be penalized and verbally abused. I am sure adults didn’t mean any harm but to protect us children from getting injured but I still remember those countless moments when people unknowingly hurt me by sending daggers of word flying by and stabbing me right through my heart. One time, I was playing with an older friend. As reckless as we were, being playful, we took turns rolling each other in a carpet. We were having fun just like other kids until one chaperon came over and yelled at me. She said, “Why are you crushing this poor little girl under the carpet? With that size of yours, you can suffocate her!” When I heard this, I was truly shocked and hurt. Back then, I was also very shy so I couldn’t even try to explain to her what we were doing. Incidents like this continued occurring and every time it happened, it made me shrink on the inside. It caused me to become introverted and timid because I was afraid of what people might say about my height, weight, and look. However, even to a person like me who felt uncomfortable around others, there was something that healed my hurt feelings and helped me forget about my problems; this was music. Music was my true friend who would never judge me in any ways but would always accept me for who I am. This really helped me get through some tough times. Then, one day I came across a song called “Mean” by Taylor Swift. As I listened to this song, it made me think about the moments I was agonized because of what people said about me. What I liked about the lyrics was that it wasn’t just a stereotypical song about sex, love and money like people nowadays want to listen to. It was a song describing experiences that could have really hurt people’s feelings. Parts of the lyrics where I felt very much agreeable were when Taylor Swift wrote, “You, with your words like knives and swords and weapons that you use against me. You have knocked me off my feet again feeling like I am nothing. You with your voice like nails on a chalkboard, calling me out, when I am wounded.” And “You have pointed out my flaws again as if I don’t already see them.” These words really came to me because it was what I had to face ever since I was young. This song changed me in a way where I don’t blame myself anymore for what happened because haters are going to hate and there’s nothing I can do to change them. Also, it helped me realize that words can have a greater impact than people think, so I should also watch out for what I say to other people.
Rate this:
Comment by bugcandy

Congratulations - your essay above has been named a semi-finalist in the July and August StageofLife.com writing contest (where we asked people to share a story about how music played an important role during a unique time in their life).

We had over 9,500 people from around the world visit the StageofLife.com writing contest page during the summer and nearly 200 submitted qualifying essays.

43 essays were named finalists (one of which is yours).

To read a recap of the writing contest, see links to the qualifying essays, and find out who the runners-up and winner are (announced after September 15th, 2012) visit this page: http://www.stageoflife.com/music.aspx

Our 26 Editors are now reviewing the finalists. We'll make an announcement on our Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/StageofLife) and via email when the winner is selected.

Thanks again for sharing your story on Stage of Life. Please share the news of being named a finalist with your friends, family and via Facebook / Twitter.

Great essay above, and best of luck!

Stay tuned!

Eric
CEO, StageofLife.com

P.S. If you haven't checked out the current writing contest, you can get to it from here: http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests.aspx
Posted: Thursday, September 6, 2012 7:43:54 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy