My song: Be "Mean" (by Taylor Swift) all you want but see if I budge

swohsmsj
As a child, I felt insecure by my physical appearance. I was a lot bigger, fatter and more mature – looking than kids my age; therefore, whenever I did something, I would be penalized and verbally abused. I am sure adults didn’t mean any harm but to protect us children from getting injured but I still remember those countless moments when people unknowingly hurt me by sending daggers of word flying by and stabbing me right through my heart. One time, I was playing with an older friend. As reckless as we were, being playful, we took turns rolling each other in a carpet. We were having fun just like other kids until one chaperon came over and yelled at me. She said, “Why are you crushing this poor little girl under the carpet? With that size of yours, you can suffocate her!” When I heard this, I was truly shocked and hurt. Back then, I was also very shy so I couldn’t even try to explain to her what we were doing. Incidents like this continued occurring and every time it happened, it made me shrink on the inside. It caused me to become introverted and timid because I was afraid of what people might say about my height, weight, and look. However, even to a person like me who felt uncomfortable around others, there was something that healed my hurt feelings and helped me forget about my problems; this was music. Music was my true friend who would never judge me in any ways but would always accept me for who I am. This really helped me get through some tough times. Then, one day I came across a song called “Mean” by Taylor Swift. As I listened to this song, it made me think about the moments I was agonized because of what people said about me. What I liked about the lyrics was that it wasn’t just a stereotypical song about sex, love and money like people nowadays want to listen to. It was a song describing experiences that could have really hurt people’s feelings. Parts of the lyrics where I felt very much agreeable were when Taylor Swift wrote, “You, with your words like knives and swords and weapons that you use against me. You have knocked me off my feet again feeling like I am nothing. You with your voice like nails on a chalkboard, calling me out, when I am wounded.” And “You have pointed out my flaws again as if I don’t already see them.” These words really came to me because it was what I had to face ever since I was young. This song changed me in a way where I don’t blame myself anymore for what happened because haters are going to hate and there’s nothing I can do to change them. Also, it helped me realize that words can have a greater impact than people think, so I should also watch out for what I say to other people.
Comment by bugcandy

Congratulations - your essay above has been named a semi-finalist in the July and August StageofLife.com writing contest (where we asked people to share a story about how music played an important role during a unique time in their life).

We had over 9,500 people from around the world visit the StageofLife.com writing contest page during the summer and nearly 200 submitted qualifying essays.

43 essays were named finalists (one of which is yours).

To read a recap of the writing contest, see links to the qualifying essays, and find out who the runners-up and winner are (announced after September 15th, 2012) visit this page: http://www.stageoflife.com/music.aspx

Our 26 Editors are now reviewing the finalists. We'll make an announcement on our Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/StageofLife) and via email when the winner is selected.

Thanks again for sharing your story on Stage of Life. Please share the news of being named a finalist with your friends, family and via Facebook / Twitter.

Great essay above, and best of luck!

Stay tuned!

Eric
CEO, StageofLife.com

P.S. If you haven't checked out the current writing contest, you can get to it from here: http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests.aspx
Posted: Thursday, September 6, 2012 7:43:54 PM