STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Nature: My oldest friend

jending
Somewhere in Monaco, a small beach situated on the coast of the Mediterranean Sea beckons. The waters are composed of the most incredible blue-green hue; they dance and sparkle, whispering promises of refuge from the merciless summer sun. In lieu of sand, small gray stones lead the way to the watery world beneath the waves.
In this alien, aquatic domain, it is easy to forget the world above: the carefree beachgoers lounging on their towels, the growl of the engine from the occasional passing car, the excited voices of the eager tourists ready to spend the day in Monte Carlo. There is so much to see! Small sea grasses drift gracefully with the passing of each current, while small, silver fish dart around the gray stones that lay placidly on the sea floor. Sunlight penetrates the waves and illuminates certain parts of the sea floor, lending a hazy, dreamlike quality to this otherworldly experience.
The aforementioned description is what I consider my first true encounter with nature, and unfortunately, even my best words cannot do it justice. This moment made me realize that nature is beautiful; it’s glorious and it unfortunately is finite as well. “You don’t realize what you have until it’s gone” is a statement that is cheesy and cliché and thrown around like confetti at a birthday party but we really won’t truly understand the beauty of nature until it disappears forever at the hands of our destruction. Suddenly all those public service announcements about the rate of rainforest decimation and the fact that our grandchildren may not know what a polar bear looks like flood into my brain; it is frightening to know that something that has been such a pivotal aspect of my life may not be around during my descendents’ lifetimes.
Thus, I would like to dedicate this next part of my essay to you, Nature, my oldest friend. You’ve surprised me with presents of smooth, soft layers of snow during winter. You’ve dutifully woken me up in the morning with the chorus of chirping birds. You’ve fought me with thunderstorms and torrential downpours, but ultimately offered your apologies in the form of a rainbow. You’ve tested my patience with humid, muggy, summer days. You’ve enlightened me on the concept of rebirth during the spring and the idea of change during the fall.
But most of all, you’ve been there for me, and I know that whenever I struggle with the hectic lifestyle of a college bound senior, I can always look out the window to your reassuring disposition. As we move further into a technological age, thank you for reminding me that there is a whole world outside our computers and cell phones that waits to be explored.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy