STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Nautre: JAWS, The Experience of a Lifetime

jaws4lyfe
I feel the piercing wind rushing past my face as I struggle on. The water beside me seems to be a river flowing in the opposite direction, even though we are the ones who are moving. I look around and see my whole team struggling as well; everyone is carrying their own weight. The sweat and determination in their faces pushes me to continue to the finish line. As our chants get louder and we start paddling faster, I know the finish line is close. I throw in two hundred percent effort and dig my paddle into the water as deep as I can and reach back all the way. When we finally pass the finish line and get that first place position, it feels like I’m on the top of the world.
Dragon boating is a sport that I just started this year, but one which I will continue at least through the end of college. The thrill and exhilaration of a race is unlike any other feeling in the world and one that I cherish. Practices are grueling, but they bring us closer together as a team as we share the pain. I have had some much fun and met new people by joining the JAWS dragon boating team at my high school. This experience has definitely brought me closer to nature as well.
Practices take place in a lake in Long Beach, California that is connected to the ocean, so there is much to see while on the boat. In the middle of the lake there is an island with much vegetation and the scenery is gorgeous. In a certain part of the lake there is a herd of jellyfish that do not sting, so you can take them out of the water and roll them around in your hand. Also, there are many dragon boats and motorboats sailing around in the water and it is quite a sight to see. For me, this is nature at its best.
This summer is definitely going to be a great one with dragon boating three times a week. Not only do I get to experience nature, but it is also an excellent workout. I believe that teenagers these days do not spend enough time outdoors. Boys and girls should find a sport, like basketball, or a hobby, like gardening that they can perform outside to be in sync with nature and gain an appreciation for the outdoors. Also, they also get a good workout. Dragon boating has allowed me to keep in touch with nature and is a great workout as well. What activity do you do?
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy