STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Nature: Quiet Not Included

unsimplysara
Nature: Quiet Not Included

Yesterday evening he told me he loved me with some dainty purple flowers fresh on the vine. Later he said he would always be with me, even late at night as we stood together in the moonlight. Sometimes I find that I can’t hear his voice, that the world and its fast paced lifestyle, its centering on television and computer screens, on college and what we will become rather then on who we are right now, that these things blind me to his wonders and deafen me to his distinctive voice.

Even when I step outside and leave my family, homework, computer, and phone behind, I’m never left alone with those majestic white clouds after a day of rain, or the jasmine so fragrant in the warm summer heat, or the key lime green grass that’s soft and cool under my toes, because there’s always a man jogging up the street, and fifty cars zooming down it. The gardeners seem to bring their raucous lawnmowers twice a day and some guy across the street is periodically blasting his techno music. Sometimes I just want to shout, GO AWAY (and take your little dog too)!

One day, a few months ago, it started to sprinkle outside. So I ran out onto our lawn and just stood there, feeling the drizzle on my skin like kisses. I closed my eyes and enjoyed the quiet gray air of the afternoon. I smiled so wide and kind of danced around my lawn, until my college-aged neighbor came outside and asked me what I was doing. Why can’t people see when they’re interrupting something?

Sometimes I think the only solution to getting my fair share of nature is to get a membership to the Huntington Botanical Gardens or to move to Malibu and buy my own private beach, but I shouldn’t have to pay money to peacefully enjoy God’s creation should I? It’s not like I have the money anyway.

But yesterday I heard God’s voice. I heard him, even though I was surrounded by people and cars were driving by. Because those little purple flowers were an envelope and when I opened them the letter said, I love you and I made these perfect purple flowers just to make you smile, because you are precious, beautiful, invaluable; you are perfect to me. Don’t you ever forget it. And there was a cross shining on the moon last night and I knew Jesus was telling me that he saw me and that he was with me even if nobody else was. Lookin’ cute in those moose pajamas, he said.

So many people are so far from God, but all they need to do is listen hard, take a break from Facebook, and go outside, because God can speak even over a lawnmower, because God does speak—through flowers in your favorite color, like unexpected envelopes that are just waiting to be opened and read, saying, I love you so much.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy