Nature: Past Becomes Present and Future

RCB
Though I am younger than most that will enter this contest, I have been outdoors more than most adults ever will! In my past childhood I was always outside with my family; hunting, fishing, camping, etc. I always wanted to get out there and be active with my friends. As I've grown to the age I am today, I've noticed that most of my friends have become couch potatoes and lost their interest in exploring the unexplored. In my opinion, kids my age and older are ignoring the fact that they are inactive and unhealthy way too much! I'm not saying that I'm perfect, but at least I study what's around me and try to better myself.

Nowadays, the preteens and teens have way too many electronic devices to occupy themselves. They drag us away from the door that leads to the outside world into an entranced state of awe in a far away land: insanity. But, I haven't gotten to what my essay is mainly about. I am going to do my best to bring kids my age back to their childhoods to remember when the wilderness was paradise, when we were wild!

I know that most of us, no matter where we grew up, spent our early childhoods exploring our back yards or wandering even farther than we were supposed to because of our curiosity. Those of you who grew up in a city or had no intention of bolting out the door and getting down and dirty, start now. The one memory I've chosen to tell you about is when I lived in Washington State, and my family and I hiked up the mountain behind our house.

That day we had nothing to do and everyone was bored. So my parents suggested that we take a walk up the mountain. Since no one else had suggestions, we agreed, happily. So, we bundled up in our fall clothes and started up the path. Outside, I took a deep breath and let the cool air fill my lungs. I was so happy to get out of that stuffy house and into the woods. As we walked into the woods at the base of the mountain we stopped to rest. Birds sang all around us. I warmed up because of all the exercise and took off my jacket to let the cool air reach my skin. As we moved onward, we heard a bull elk bugle in the distance. Then a cow elk respond with her mewing call like a damsel in distress. We smiled but said nothing. Then, we continued our journey as the giant evergreens swayed above us.

There's no word for that day! Amazing doesn't cut it. When you're out there, everything falls away. Step outside; you'll be hooked for life. Please, help me remind the world!