Nature: A lost art?

soccer16
You wake up in the morning and get dressed. You walk through the door and take a breath of crisp, morning air. As you begin to run you feel the wind blowing through your hair, the sun beating down on your back. You hear birds chirping and dogs barking, and you actually feel as though you are progressing. Or, in order to accomplish the same amount physically, you can jump on a treadmill in an overpriced gym and listen to blaring music that you probably don’t even like. I know that without a doubt I would choose the first option. There is just something about nature that cannot be recreated inside of a building.
As a soccer player, I don’t see athletics as something to be accomplished indoors. Sure you can play volleyball and basketball in a gym, but the energy in beach volleyball or street ball is completely different. When you play outdoors you breathe fresh air. You aren’t stuck inside a stuffy gym, where you, and everyone watching, will be sweating buckets by the end of the game. You get to enjoy the world around you instead of brick walls.
Nature has not only affected my athletic life, but my home life as well. Living where I do, farming is a major source of income. My family raises sheep, and we would not have them if it weren’t for the nature that surrounds us. Working with the animals is a lot of work. It’s hot and stinky, the animals don’t always do what is desired, and there are always unexpected problems, but the satisfaction of working with them and being out in the fresh air far exceeds the discomforts. This seems to be something we have forgotten.
Looking around the world today, one will often see teens sitting inside, in front of some type of screen playing a mind-numbing game. My parents have never been keen on video games, and we don’t have any fancy TV service, so we read a lot. I love to do this outside. If I get bored I can watch light streaming through the trees, count bugs, or search for four-leaf clovers. It doesn’t matter what I am doing as long as I am outside, enjoying the beauty that surrounds me.
We live in an ever changing world, and there will come a day when nature might have changed drastically from the beauty we enjoy today. What will people do when they can’t walk in the park or watch a sunset? I believe we’ve been given an amazing gift, and we need to stop taking it for granted. There are many ways we can enjoy the world around us. Each and every one of us can find some way to embrace the beauty of nature, all we have to do is look. So now all you have to do is set down the paper or shut off the electronics, and go outside to find out what nature has for you.