Nature: A Work of Art

emily9460
Most of us today do not take the time to get out into nature, and appreciate the beauty of what was on Earth long before us. We are too caught up in the technology that creates a bubble around us. This bubble makes us feel safe; the knowledge that we can call a friend at any moment during the day relieves us. But what is it shielding us from? Is nature really so bad?
Honestly, what is nature? It certainly isn’t those neat rectangles of bright green grass that have been trimmed and pruned so that not one blade is out of place. No. Nature should remind us of the Creator; it should remind us of His beauty and power that is so great that it can create billions of stars in the blink of an eye. I love going up to our family’s cabin in the woods for that reason. You can see millions of the tiny twinkling stars that would otherwise be hidden by the bright lights of our cities. Oftentimes my family goes for walks in the woods. The woods would be alive with birds and bugs and other small creatures, yet still be serene and tranquil.
Nature is best in person. A picture cannot replace the feeling of awe that you get when standing next to a giant Sequoia hundreds of years old, towering over your head. It cannot replace the sound of foamy waves crashing on a pale beach just before sunrise. Nor can it replace the soft crunch of a deer walking through the glistening snow. No, these things must be witnessed firsthand to truly appreciate them and the One who made them.
The Earth is God’s canvas. The deep blues of the ocean, the dark forest greens, the bright reds and oranges and pinks of tropical birds, and the earthy browns of the dirt make up his palette. Sadly, the human race is slowly destroying His masterpiece with the hard metal grays of our buildings that scream the word manmade. In place of the forests are skyscrapers, in place of the beaches are resorts, and in place of the dirt is the black asphalt of roads cutting through the wilderness. The sounds of our power drills and saws replace the sounds of crickets chirping and birds singing Earth’s melody.
Standing surrounded by God’s creation is much more beautiful than going to an art gallery and looking at modern art or even replicas of gorgeous landscapes. Sometimes, what we need to do is get away from the hustle and bustle of our daily lives and just take a moment to breathe in the cool, crisp air of the mountains or feel the spray of waves crashing onto a secluded beach. That’s all it takes to realize that nature is worth experiencing.