STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Nature: Facebook Has Become the New Outside

Lifexlove
"Wait, what happened?" I asked my friend as he discussed recent drama within our friendship circle with me.
"The two lovebirds broke up," he answered referring to our bud - who wasn't in school today - and her boyfriend of two years.
"They did?!" I responded, shocked. "I didn't know that! Why didn't you guys tell me?"
"I was gonna, but then I remembered: you don't have Facebook," my friend retorted, obviously trying to bug me.
"I have a cell phone, you know. Calling or texting is also an option,"
"Yeah, but Facebook is so much easier, we're all together at once."
"But we could go out, the park’s right there!"
Conversations like this are almost daily with my friend, who is constantly trying to push me into getting a Facebook page. My friends and I haven’t gone out together in three months, and we only speak through text outside of school, never a call. Nowadays, teens feel the need to “be together” through a computer instead of in person. Many teens feel that typing what you feel and want to say instead of writing it is the same as being with friends. They think that you can get the same feeling of a group conversation in a group chatroom, and the emotes are the same as facial expressions. I had to console my hurt friend through text messages, since she hates calling and was too sad to leave the house.
Facebook and texting have become the number-1 ways that people who don’t live together communicate, and teens are becoming more and more distant. My friend turned down everyone’s offer to go over or go out together because she was too hurt to see anyone. That right there is the problem. No one wants to see anyone anymore. They feel more comfortable putting their feelings out there for everyone to see so long as they don’t have to say it out loud or in person. My friend probably would have healed faster from her breakup if she let us take her out and console her instead of sending her sad faces and crying faces.
Rate this:
Comment by bugcandy

I thought your post about Facebook becoming the new "outside" was an interesting topic. I imagine you're not the only person to be having this conversation with their social-media-addicted friends.

The interesting thing is that we made your essay the daily post on our Facebook page (how ironic, right?), but I thought you had a viewpoint people should consider.

What's better...a real friend or the virtual friend?

Hopefully more people start putting time and energy into real time friendships. Nice essay.

I look forward to reading more of your blogs here on Stage of Life.

Eric
CEO, StageofLife.com
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2012 9:58:33 PM
Rate this:
Comment by Lifexlove

Thank you for featuring my essay! I apologize for the extremely late response to your comment, I had read it earlier, but between family, friends, violin and writing, I haven't been able to check my stageoflife account as often as I would like (and still being fairly new to the website), and I JUST noticed the 'quick reply' button on the bottom of the page. *smacks self on forehead*
Anyway, again thank you for reading my essay and again I apologize for the super-late response.
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2012 4:39:16 AM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy