Nature: Facebook Has Become the New Outside

Lifexlove
"Wait, what happened?" I asked my friend as he discussed recent drama within our friendship circle with me.
"The two lovebirds broke up," he answered referring to our bud - who wasn't in school today - and her boyfriend of two years.
"They did?!" I responded, shocked. "I didn't know that! Why didn't you guys tell me?"
"I was gonna, but then I remembered: you don't have Facebook," my friend retorted, obviously trying to bug me.
"I have a cell phone, you know. Calling or texting is also an option,"
"Yeah, but Facebook is so much easier, we're all together at once."
"But we could go out, the park’s right there!"
Conversations like this are almost daily with my friend, who is constantly trying to push me into getting a Facebook page. My friends and I haven’t gone out together in three months, and we only speak through text outside of school, never a call. Nowadays, teens feel the need to “be together” through a computer instead of in person. Many teens feel that typing what you feel and want to say instead of writing it is the same as being with friends. They think that you can get the same feeling of a group conversation in a group chatroom, and the emotes are the same as facial expressions. I had to console my hurt friend through text messages, since she hates calling and was too sad to leave the house.
Facebook and texting have become the number-1 ways that people who don’t live together communicate, and teens are becoming more and more distant. My friend turned down everyone’s offer to go over or go out together because she was too hurt to see anyone. That right there is the problem. No one wants to see anyone anymore. They feel more comfortable putting their feelings out there for everyone to see so long as they don’t have to say it out loud or in person. My friend probably would have healed faster from her breakup if she let us take her out and console her instead of sending her sad faces and crying faces.
Comment by bugcandy

I thought your post about Facebook becoming the new "outside" was an interesting topic. I imagine you're not the only person to be having this conversation with their social-media-addicted friends.

The interesting thing is that we made your essay the daily post on our Facebook page (how ironic, right?), but I thought you had a viewpoint people should consider.

What's better...a real friend or the virtual friend?

Hopefully more people start putting time and energy into real time friendships. Nice essay.

I look forward to reading more of your blogs here on Stage of Life.

Eric
CEO, StageofLife.com
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2012 9:58:33 PM
Comment by Lifexlove

Thank you for featuring my essay! I apologize for the extremely late response to your comment, I had read it earlier, but between family, friends, violin and writing, I haven't been able to check my stageoflife account as often as I would like (and still being fairly new to the website), and I JUST noticed the 'quick reply' button on the bottom of the page. *smacks self on forehead*
Anyway, again thank you for reading my essay and again I apologize for the super-late response.
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2012 4:39:16 AM