Nature: Inspecting Flowers

taylorroelofs
Summer is a word most people use in a positive context. For example: “yay, it’s summer.” But for kids and teens all around the U.S. summer can be a very long, very boring thing. With both parents working and no form of transportation, summer can seem like endless hours spent inside with nothing but a T.V, remote and a bag of potato chips. That’s where the outdoors can be so helpful.
Today’s generation has grown up on T.V, videogames and social media. The media is literally raising this generation. What happened to the days when boys would play catch in the grass while girls rode their bikes and pretended they were pink ponies? Kids have forgotten how to use nature to their advantage. They’ve forgotten how to play in the trees with leaves and rocks as your pretend “food.” Teenagers like me who used to play outside for hours on end choose to go to the mall instead of the beach or on a nature hike. It truly is an epidemic.
I remember when I was little, my neighbors and I would spend hours and hours outside. We would even bring the indoors outside. We’d make blanket forts in the trees and play dolls in the grass - not even taking time to go inside and eat, we’d do that outside too. Those days spent playing outside helped shape my personality; they helped me become who I am today. If it weren’t for the inspiration and adventures in nature I’d be a totally different person… I would have no imagination or no longing for new experiences.
So whether you are two (2) or 22, I challenge you to get outside and enjoy the view. There’s nothing more relaxing than an afternoon stroll in a local park. The outdoors is purely there for our enjoyment. Have you ever stopped and inspected a flower? I mean really looked at it and all it’s parts, colors, and intricate designs… It’s simply stunning! All the tiny parts that fit together to make something so glorious. Enjoy it. Take advantage of what the world has to offer you. Let it inspire, change and shape you.