Nature: The pathway to thinking

laugh.lots.21
Nature: The pathway to thinking

Ever since I was a little girl I have loved to be outside. It was where my imagination could extend to its fullest. Outside, the sky was the limit and trees were my ladders. Being with nature was my fairytale. I had the happy family, loving animals, and the enchanted forest. All these magical creations came alive every time my foot met the ground outside my back door.
Particularly in my younger years I lived outside as most children my age did. I remember my backyard being a mystery with a story waiting to be told. So that is what I did, I made a story. Chocolate factories in my Moms garden, forts in the cattle shoots and Lilac bushes, and my secret hide out in the last bay of our shop. Playing Cowboys and Indian's with my older siblings was one of my favorite things to do. It gave me a rush to think someone was chasing us. It also built a relationship with my siblings. I trusted their judgment on the best escape route through the prickly weeds and over the semi stable chicken coup. I enjoyed the challenge and felt big when I, the youngest of four, could accomplish what they could.
As I got older my outside experiences changed as my companions changed. When your best friend is fifteen hands high, has four legs, and fat, jumping on the tramp is not really an option. So our play dates were different from others I previously had. My horse was my pride and joy. Nothing was better than forcing him down to the end of the pasture to get him to run back to the corals. He was stubborn but so was I. At eight years old Horse 4H was my favorite activity. I had horses all around me and I learned how to make my horse do what I want. The best part was finally being able to monkey my way to the top of the saddle without help. This was like opening the doors to heaven for me because I no longer had to bribe someone to help me ride. I could do it all by myself.
Later on my enchanted forests disappeared and my imagination was dying. I did not let this ruin my relationship with the outdoors. I let it be an opening to a new adventure. On hikes I no longer scanned the trees for possible Indian chases. I let nature challenge me to help me become the best I can be. Hiking Table rock helped me see how far I can push myself and it let me know that I can do hard things. Nature is not always serious, it is exciting too. Especially when you encounter a Moose two feet away from you while floating a river.
Although my outlook on nature has changed as I have matured it still has impacted my life greatly. It has been a get away from the crazy world that we live in today. It also has helped my creativity to develop. I think it is very important for people to take time and enjoy what nature has to offer.