Nature: The tradition, the importance, and the creation

Charktheshark95
Nature is, well, what is nature? Nature is an integral part of all of us, I believe. It is an expanse—a vast repertoire of fun, knowledge, and memories—just waiting to be unmasked by us. Furthermore, nature plays a crucial role in the formation of responsible, healthy adults. For these reasons—among others—I believe that outdoor activities must be kept as a primary component of the childhood experience.

I recount many a time being outdoors for hours upon hours. Smelling that fresh summer breeze as the baseball is thrown towards home plate. The sounds of the neighborhood children, excited by the day’s affairs. I also recall seeing parents, thoroughly engaged in conversation, watching the jubilation commence; I would often postulate that they themselves were enjoying the experience as well. Rather, they were enjoying the concept, the tradition: yet another generation experiencing the beautiful planet, just as they had many years ago. The venerable cycle of play continuing from generation to generation as the family bond becomes greater.

These are among the memories I hold nearest and dearest to my heart; the experiences that I will truly remember. Without this foundation, I don’t know where I’d be intellectually, socially, or athletically. To sum up, I believe that all of my fundamental qualities were partially formed by these experiences. Those idle days probably had more impact on me than the arduous weeks spent in the school setting.

I do acknowledge the fact that it is a changing world. However, I strongly believe that some traditions, such as light-hearted “fun in the sun,” are limitlessly beneficial to the person at hand. For that reason, said nature-deficit disorder should be limited, or possibly eradicated altogether, through emphatic action by schools, parents, and the individual to spend a little time outside everyday. Just don’t forget the sunscreen!

The experiences of all young adults, myself included, must be balanced. We all know how difficult it is to get up and go out, but sometimes a little discipline can go a long way. I will iterate a relevant poem to this subject, which I wrote on a nice afternoon a long while ago, to illustrate the joy that being outdoors can bring:

Summer is the birds; oh the birds!
The sweet taste that is so familiar to mine senses, woo me!
Grilling, girls being chased by exasperated fellows.
The trees move to the rhythm of the wind blowing from the East.
Wind; smells are blown in from our upcoming feast.
Said meal, although juicy, will pass on a whim.
When the thought of summer is blown in.
Summer is the birds; oh the birds!
They follow the current that’s headed West.
For the winds of summer, they know me best.
Thus all the tales spoken, with or without wit.
Echo the same message:
Summer is what you make of it.
Comment by SOFLarchive

Your essay and em are beautiful. Nature is part of us.
Posted: Sunday, July 1, 2012 1:28:15 AM