STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Nature: The tradition, the importance, and the creation

Charktheshark95
Nature is, well, what is nature? Nature is an integral part of all of us, I believe. It is an expanse—a vast repertoire of fun, knowledge, and memories—just waiting to be unmasked by us. Furthermore, nature plays a crucial role in the formation of responsible, healthy adults. For these reasons—among others—I believe that outdoor activities must be kept as a primary component of the childhood experience.

I recount many a time being outdoors for hours upon hours. Smelling that fresh summer breeze as the baseball is thrown towards home plate. The sounds of the neighborhood children, excited by the day’s affairs. I also recall seeing parents, thoroughly engaged in conversation, watching the jubilation commence; I would often postulate that they themselves were enjoying the experience as well. Rather, they were enjoying the concept, the tradition: yet another generation experiencing the beautiful planet, just as they had many years ago. The venerable cycle of play continuing from generation to generation as the family bond becomes greater.

These are among the memories I hold nearest and dearest to my heart; the experiences that I will truly remember. Without this foundation, I don’t know where I’d be intellectually, socially, or athletically. To sum up, I believe that all of my fundamental qualities were partially formed by these experiences. Those idle days probably had more impact on me than the arduous weeks spent in the school setting.

I do acknowledge the fact that it is a changing world. However, I strongly believe that some traditions, such as light-hearted “fun in the sun,” are limitlessly beneficial to the person at hand. For that reason, said nature-deficit disorder should be limited, or possibly eradicated altogether, through emphatic action by schools, parents, and the individual to spend a little time outside everyday. Just don’t forget the sunscreen!

The experiences of all young adults, myself included, must be balanced. We all know how difficult it is to get up and go out, but sometimes a little discipline can go a long way. I will iterate a relevant poem to this subject, which I wrote on a nice afternoon a long while ago, to illustrate the joy that being outdoors can bring:

Summer is the birds; oh the birds!
The sweet taste that is so familiar to mine senses, woo me!
Grilling, girls being chased by exasperated fellows.
The trees move to the rhythm of the wind blowing from the East.
Wind; smells are blown in from our upcoming feast.
Said meal, although juicy, will pass on a whim.
When the thought of summer is blown in.
Summer is the birds; oh the birds!
They follow the current that’s headed West.
For the winds of summer, they know me best.
Thus all the tales spoken, with or without wit.
Echo the same message:
Summer is what you make of it.
Rate this:
Comment by SOFLarchive

Your essay and em are beautiful. Nature is part of us.
Posted: Sunday, July 1, 2012 1:28:15 AM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy