STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Nature: Forever Beauty Hardly Caught

DenverGold
One of my favorite sports to do is jogging, if that can barely be called a sport. I used to run outside with my mom and a family friend. I used to hate it until I got going. But once the blood began to pulse through my weak body, once the thin muscles pumped up, once the sweat shined my forehead, I was hooked. The icy winter air blasted through my sweaty scalp creating that perfect jogging feeling. I could go forever… at least until my body admitted to the scaly claw of teenage tiredness. But then I lost my jogging partners. I considered quitting, but the urge to get out and feeling that surging blood was sure a whole lot stronger than any teenage claw. So I began to jog alone. I still got that amazing feeling, but a large chunk seemed to be bit off. I needed companionship to help what I love come back to life.
My dad and I had a conversation once, about kids my age. He tells me that we don’t have the same fun that he and his friends did at his age. They played football all the time and whenever they weren’t at school, they were having a good outside time. I was left to try and defend my generation, but honestly I wasn’t left much to work with. The little bit of putty with the, “We like to talk all the time. We love to communicate,” excuse, wasn’t enough to form a wall of hard core explanation why we don’t ever go outside. I was left wondering: why don’t we go outside? Facebook is a lame excuse, so is bugs, or disease, or sunburn, or cuts and bruises and blisters.
I remember when I used to play outside all the time, on my bike with my friends. We’d ride all over my neighborhood. We’d have more fun getting into trouble than staring at a computer screen tapping keys. Why would we want to give up that sort of fun? That got me to a somewhat good conclusion: peer pressure. How does that have anything to do with laziness you ask? I’ll tell you. See, it must’ve started with some lazy guy who could’ve been pretty popular in school. That person’s fat butt influence pressured the wannabe-populars into staying in a dark room staring at the screen. Of course that could be only part of the reason. There’s websites that just attract people to play or do whatever on. I’m not saying that’s bad at all, I’m just saying that they should have real fun.
Human beings are meant to be outside, and don’t let some stupid invention stop us from having a good, healthy life. Nature has the beauty no camera can catch, only the eyes of anyone who searches it out. Who cares about cuts and bruises? Man up America and stop making excuses to be cool.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy