STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Nature: The Joy of Summer Vacation

curtism508
I have completed my last final and submitted my last assignment. My grades are in and there is no longer anything I can do to change them. I power down my laptop and push in my desk chair with the intention of avoiding it until the fall. Running to my room, I quickly change into swim trunks and rush out the back door. The oppressive humid heat of summer fills my lungs making it a struggle to breathe. The water that fills the air seems to intensify the heat rather than abating it. I stand in the sunlight with the grass beneath my feet and close my eyes for a moment to properly experience the outdoors. I can smell the grass, the flowers, and a hint of chlorine. The sun warms my skin giving the surreal feeling to my skin like meat browning under a broiler. I momentarily wonder if I can really feel my skin tanning. Perspiration begins to collect above my brow until it forms large droplets that run down my face, neck and back. I can no longer tolerate the wait and must move ahead. I open my eyes and see the perfect oasis before me. A four foot deep swimming pool with crystal clear water allowing me to see the blue liner that holds in my salvation from the heat. I am in instant motion, swinging open the gate and running up the stairs so that I may propel my body into the cooling water. I am momentarily airborne and feel the joy of flying along with the anticipation of relief. My body breaks through the water barrier instantly cooling my overheated flesh. I am surrounded in a cocoon of cool perfection. I want to remain in this quiet perfect world but all too soon the need for air forces me to surface. I pull in a deep lungful of air and notice that the humidity no longer makes breathing difficult while the rest of my body is cool and comfortable. I think, ā€œSummer vacation is free but summer vacation with a pool is priceless.ā€
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy