Nature: The Joy of Summer Vacation

curtism508
I have completed my last final and submitted my last assignment. My grades are in and there is no longer anything I can do to change them. I power down my laptop and push in my desk chair with the intention of avoiding it until the fall. Running to my room, I quickly change into swim trunks and rush out the back door. The oppressive humid heat of summer fills my lungs making it a struggle to breathe. The water that fills the air seems to intensify the heat rather than abating it. I stand in the sunlight with the grass beneath my feet and close my eyes for a moment to properly experience the outdoors. I can smell the grass, the flowers, and a hint of chlorine. The sun warms my skin giving the surreal feeling to my skin like meat browning under a broiler. I momentarily wonder if I can really feel my skin tanning. Perspiration begins to collect above my brow until it forms large droplets that run down my face, neck and back. I can no longer tolerate the wait and must move ahead. I open my eyes and see the perfect oasis before me. A four foot deep swimming pool with crystal clear water allowing me to see the blue liner that holds in my salvation from the heat. I am in instant motion, swinging open the gate and running up the stairs so that I may propel my body into the cooling water. I am momentarily airborne and feel the joy of flying along with the anticipation of relief. My body breaks through the water barrier instantly cooling my overheated flesh. I am surrounded in a cocoon of cool perfection. I want to remain in this quiet perfect world but all too soon the need for air forces me to surface. I pull in a deep lungful of air and notice that the humidity no longer makes breathing difficult while the rest of my body is cool and comfortable. I think, ā€œSummer vacation is free but summer vacation with a pool is priceless.ā€