Nature: Change & One of the Few

charlie.lockyer.94

If you watch “old-school” movies, you will see that most teenagers were rarely inside all day, never had a game controller nearly Super-Glued to their palms, and liked to be outside. Today’s teenagers are all-consumed with technology, to the point that most of us have lost touch with nature. To go outside nowadays is a punishment to most teens, because almost all of our entertainment has moved inside, unless you know what to look for. As we became too big and “grown-up” for playgrounds, video and computer games became our main source of fun, preferring air-conditioning to a lovely summer breeze. Teenagers just do not connect with nature anymore, and it is a sad sight to see. We are too busily immersed in technology to set up in a park, lay down in the grass, under the bright sun, and listen to the sounds of nature. What happened to the days of going to the neighborhood park, and reading a book while you listen to the breeze rustle the tree branches, and make the leaves dance? What of the days of climbing trees? Nature was where we went as children to escape our parents, our chores, and siblings too young to follow. We played on playgrounds at least five days a week in elementary school, and never wanted our games of freeze-tag to end. Today’s teenagers have common injuries such as strained tendons in their hands from texting and video/computer games, but when we were younger, (and connected more with nature) we hurt our hands by landing wrong during swing-set jumping competitions.

Being connected to nature has been a big part of my life. I had a horse that I loved and spent almost every single day outside with for the last two summers of my life. He was injured and needed rehabilitation every day, so I spent a lot of time walking him around the farm. During those walks, we saw rabbits darting around in the underbrush, birds swoop between tree branches, other horses and ponies gallop around their pastures, and too many insects for my tastes. It connected me to nature, because I had to connect in order to help my horse recover from his injury, and to keep him from becoming scared of the other animals, which would cause him to strain his injury. The connection I gained has stayed with me since, even though my horse had to be sold to another person that loved him as much as I did. To this day I prefer hearing the wind through the trees than to the newest Pop song on iTunes, and I prefer to feel grass beneath my fingertips rather than the hard glass of my iPhone’s screen. Maybe I am one of the few teenagers that would love to give up technology for a wear and live in the woods, but I am proud of my connection to nature, and would never give it up, (not even for all of the newest gadgets.)