Nature: What You Can Get From It All

ElleSommerville
Nature is a part of life that will always be around us. Even New York City, a city with the most completed skyscrapers in the world, has room to host the beautiful Central Park. Nature is not only necessary to produce elements of life, but also to do such things as inspire us, teach us how to appreciate what we have, and help us connect with others. My experience through nature is about, not taking things for granted and the overwhelming connection I felt with god on Wilderness Trail.

I have never been very religious. Although I do believe in god, my family is not a “church going family”. One of my best friends belongs to a church and I’ve often times joined in going to the services. This particular church presents you with the option to do Wilderness Trail. Wilderness Trial is a weeklong event where you spend your time hiking 50 miles of the Appalachian Trail. You carry 45-pound backpacks, camp out, and can fully take in the nature that surrounds you. I wasn’t planning on finding god on this trip; I was simply there to spend time with my friends.

Once on the trip I was immediately astonished over the sole amount of this untouched beauty. You couldn’t help but wonder how such magnificent things could happen without the guidance of one all mighty power. We did all of the classic church things such as sing religious campfire songs, pray together, etc. but that wasn’t what was moving. It was the times when you were wandering down a mountain, all by yourself, thinking out loud about the things that you love so much. Thinking about all the times that god has helped you or the ways he’s tested you. Without those moments the trip would’ve been nearly pointless. Ever since that trip last summer I have been closer with god and have felt a connection stronger than ever before.

Another thing I accomplished from that trip is the gratitude I felt for everything that is always taken granted for. After such a long hike things like cars, air conditioning, stoves, beds, showers, and dryers seemed like a well-earned treat. My possessions are now dear to me because I can feel for the people who are not lucky enough to have them. Obviously going a week without these things is no problem compared to people in third world countries who never have or never will have such things but after my time on the trail I can only imagine the difficulties that arise in their everyday lives.

Nature is a very efficient way to inspire great lifestyles, look at the things in your life more importantly, and help share bonds with people on a different level than friendship, understanding. I don’t think it is needed to talk about the amount of time spent in nature. Instead we should talk about what we receive from even the shortest of moments spent basking in the enchantment of it all.

Comment by yiyijessicali

I particularly liked your last paragraph, this is a very elegant piece of writing! Good thing that you can still discover beauty within nature in such an urbanized place as New York.
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2012 7:13:49 PM