STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Nature: brings out a simpler life

OliviaZZZ5
I live in fast-paced suburbia, the world of Bluetooth and moms in minivans constantly chaperoning their kids from the rec center to the friend’s house to the last minute sleepover. We suburbanites come in contact with nature, just more of the cultured and decorative variety. We’re going to spend more time manicuring our hedges and lawns to perfection than heading out to the park. The minority of my community spends free time biking, hiking, and whatnot. On a Saturday afternoon, there will be more television watching than nature appreciating. Living in this area that doesn’t particularly pay much attention to nature (outside of the five day forecast), doesn’t mean I’ve forgotten about her. I’ve been inspired by nature to escape a hectic world and embrace the simplicity she offers.

There are times when modernity overwhelms me. After a whole morning of driving around running errands, seemingly spending most of that time stuck at a red light. After an hour spent surfing the Internet. After a morning wasted flipping through channels, not really watching anything, but too bored and unmotivated to do otherwise. It’s these times that I slip away into nature. Because nature’s a friendly companion; there’s no need to talk to her, no need for effort, no need to anything more than enjoy.

I’ll call up a some of my softball teammates. In half an hour, there’s five or six of us at our field, nearly hidden away. Thirty minutes by highway to a small town (where there’s not many residents, but a long of crop acreage), to the field surrounded by a cow pasture with two cows, a cemetery, and a patch of berries. We can spend a couple of hours running drills and diving across the powdery dirt. Then, once we’re all too tired to swing the bat, we can wade through the dense berry bushes, picking the fattest berries and shrieking when we plunge our hands through a spider web. Or I can take a notepad and pen outside and climb up to the comfortable branch of the maple in our yard. I’ll sketch our neighbor’s bent paper birch, with its thin flakes of bark blanketing the bed of tulips below. I’ll scribble out a poem or close my eyes and listen to the birds cheep around me. I can jump down and stretch out on the soft grass. Maybe my little sister will toddle out with two cups of lemonade, and we’ll laugh at bunnies darting across the driveway until the sun leaves the sky. Nature inspires a life where I simply enjoy myself.

I’ll admit, I’m in no way a huge nature buff. I’ll willingly spend an hour indoors Skyping my friends with the perfect spring day just five steps out the door. But I won’t neglect nature. Rather, she’s a constant comfort whenever I need her, an easy escape, a detox from technology, for those days when I just need some simplicity.
Rate this:
Comment by ogeewiz

You've observed suburbia well.
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2012 12:51:17 AM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy