Nature: Boring but Interesting

xthelocust
Nature can inspire people in many ways, be it by causing them to "go green" and recycle more often, or to continue to preserve our nation's natural forests for the rest of mankind to enjoy. It can even inspire people to take action against offenders of nature such as in the case of many groups like Greenpeace. How has nature inspired me though? I can safely say that nature has probably affected me in a positive way indirectly through music.
As a flute player, I play many songs that composers long ago wrote through the inspiration of something they saw or heard about in nature. One example of this is the song Syrinx, written in 1913 by Claude Debussy. Debussy received inspiration for this song from the Greek myth of Pan and Syrinx. Pan was a pan-flute playing god who was in love with the nymph Syrinx. She in turn did not love Pan back, so she transformed into hollow reeds by the river, but when Pan needed to make a new flute, he cut down the same reeds that Syrinx transformed into, therefore killing her. It's the sadness of the tragedy of Pan that gave Debussy the inspiration to write this wonderful piece of work.
In other fashions of my life however, nature has not affected my life very much. Nature can only inspire so many people to a great degree, and I guess I am not one of them. Yes, nature is a great thing to draw inspiration and strength from, but there is only so much you can take from it. Green meadows, aging trees, and scenic landscapes get very redundant and boring once you see enough of it. If you truly want to draw inspiration, you must look within yourself and find the strength to conquer your fears and achieve great things.
Comment by yiyijessicali

Great writing!
I also really like Debussy's compositions, and you bring some really good points about finding inspirations in this writing!
in addition, if you like literature, you should read William Wordsworth's poem'I wandered lonely as a cloud," it connects well to many of your ideas.
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 3:01:52 AM