STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Nature: Boring but Interesting

xthelocust
Nature can inspire people in many ways, be it by causing them to "go green" and recycle more often, or to continue to preserve our nation's natural forests for the rest of mankind to enjoy. It can even inspire people to take action against offenders of nature such as in the case of many groups like Greenpeace. How has nature inspired me though? I can safely say that nature has probably affected me in a positive way indirectly through music.
As a flute player, I play many songs that composers long ago wrote through the inspiration of something they saw or heard about in nature. One example of this is the song Syrinx, written in 1913 by Claude Debussy. Debussy received inspiration for this song from the Greek myth of Pan and Syrinx. Pan was a pan-flute playing god who was in love with the nymph Syrinx. She in turn did not love Pan back, so she transformed into hollow reeds by the river, but when Pan needed to make a new flute, he cut down the same reeds that Syrinx transformed into, therefore killing her. It's the sadness of the tragedy of Pan that gave Debussy the inspiration to write this wonderful piece of work.
In other fashions of my life however, nature has not affected my life very much. Nature can only inspire so many people to a great degree, and I guess I am not one of them. Yes, nature is a great thing to draw inspiration and strength from, but there is only so much you can take from it. Green meadows, aging trees, and scenic landscapes get very redundant and boring once you see enough of it. If you truly want to draw inspiration, you must look within yourself and find the strength to conquer your fears and achieve great things.
Rate this:
Comment by yiyijessicali

Great writing!
I also really like Debussy's compositions, and you bring some really good points about finding inspirations in this writing!
in addition, if you like literature, you should read William Wordsworth's poem'I wandered lonely as a cloud," it connects well to many of your ideas.
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 3:01:52 AM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy