Nature: Its value is under-appreciated

iateyourflan
Nature is not only relevant to today's world, it is also extremely important. Most people, especially of the modern ages tend to overlook the value of nature and humans' dependency on it. We look to nature for medicine, food, fresh oxygen, shelter, and much much more. Unfortunately, as technology advances year after year, humans have begun neglecting preservation of nature in order to achieve faster industrialization and more advanced technologies. As we leave nature to fend for itself against its destruction by humans, we are only hurting ourselves more. Deforestation for land usage leads to a huge increase in carbon dioxide, thereby increasing the amount of greenhouse gases and further contributing to global warming. As an effect, huge climate changes are occurring throughout Earth which greatly affect our lives. The polar ice caps, for example, are melting at an alarmingly frightening speed. This means loss of habitats for many animals such as polar bears and leads to great changes in the ocean temperatures.
Other than emphasizing the necessity to take actions to preserve nature, emphasizing the need for today's youth to go outside in the nature and be active is equally crucial. Due to the development of technologies such as hand-held video game consoles, more and more children are spending less times outdoors and more times indoors. Whereas in the past, when such technologies were not available or more widespread, children would go outdoors for recreational activities, children today now tend to stay inside, eyes glued to the screens of their video game consoles. Before the invention of these consoles, playing meant outdoor activities such as biking, running, playing on the monkey bars, basketball, and other assorted activities that requires physical energy. Now, children no longer need to step outside their bedroom in order to have fun. All they need to do is rapidly click on the buttons of their game consoles and they can find amusement for hours on end.
I believe more people of developed societies in which technologies play a huge role in the lives of the majority of the population need more “nature” in their lives. It is not just about preservation of nature and going outdoors to exercise. People should rest their eyes and go out and enjoy the beautiful scenery. They should actually observe and see the world around them—take a look at the myriad of colorful flowers, hear the birds sing, and breath in the fresh air. Not only is going out in the nature invigorating for the spirit, it is also a good chance for people to take a break from their work and get away from staring at the computer or cell-phone screen 24/7. There is much to see, hear, smell, feel, and touch in nature. People just need to put down their phones and go outside to enjoy it.