Nature: It will not lose to us

kchang
She is a force. Her breath lets clouds set sail and turns tranquil seas into a boiling fury. Her tears form oceans and cause raging typhoons. Her shine sustains us and blisters the earth. Nature is serene, yet mighty.
She is a machine. Her actions are balanced, a chain of cause and effect that gives and takes life. She weaves a web of interdependence, in which every choice influences something. The strong survive. The weak die. Nature is harsh, but fair.
She is a womb. With her, life flourishes. She has created the lurking ones of the deep sea, the colorful ones of the rain forest. She has created the flying ones of the sky, the crawling ones of the earth, and the foolish ones of destruction.
Nature is an entity.
Long ago, we were grateful to her. We shed blood in hopes that her gifts would grace us again, and celebrated when the first flowers of spring opened in bloom.
Now we have reduced her to complicated theories and algorithms, giving us an excuse to create prestigious competitions for fame. We have taken the fruits of her womb for granted, failing to give back what she has given to us. We have burned and razed her skin, drained and clotted her veins, until she is now merely a dry husk of what she was before.
We say she is dying. We say she needs aid to heal.
Nature does not need the aid of man. Nature heals by herself. There will always be mosquitoes resistant to a new poison. There will always be a virus resistant to a new vaccine. Should the disease of man grow too rampant, she will no longer bear fruit, and it will end.
Nature's greatest virtue is her patience. If man would stop to ponder his actions, to take the time to think--perhaps we would not be living in such a world. But we continue to destroy. We will not learn from her. So nature fights for balance, and in the end, she always wins.
Comment by MikkiB326

I love how you personified Nature in this piece; it's surely a mess of contradictions! The simplistic, yet intriguing, style of this piece surely captured my attention!

All my love,

Makayla
High School Editor for Stage of Life
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 1:01:21 AM
Comment by ogeewiz

Nature is awesome - and so is your concern for her. Wonderful piece!
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2012 12:09:51 AM