Nature: My Haven of Hope

Hope
There is nothing in the world more inspiring, fascinating, and calming than the world itself. Nature can excite you and grip you with all its glory and grandeur, yet it can also soothe you and relax you with all its peacefulness. We look to movies to watch, the genre depending on one’s mood. But why watch a movie inside when you have the best movie—a movie of action, adventure, romance, comedy, crime—right outside your door?

Nature has taught me so much, but mostly it has taught me to love myself. The magnitude of nature has humbled me, and the elated feeling of reaching the top of the mountain has filled me with self-confidence. I learned what beauty really is, and I am able to care less about the material beauty that we so strive for.
One trip that I will never forget, a trip I took in Southern Israel with my family, shaped my personality. I was a shy, quiet girl, easily bullied, who had stopped trying for fear of failing. Southern Israel is a desert landscape, and at first I was upset about going. When we were there, however, something clicked inside of me: There is life here, in the middle of this desert. Is it not beautiful to find the living in the desolate? And with that, I put foot in front of foot and marched on. When we could see the whole crater in front of us, we sat. I cannot begin to explain the emotions and feelings that gazing out onto the open, living wasteland gave me. Love of life? Fear of God? A deep sense of belonging?
All I know is that when we left that crater, I was a different human being. I stopped caring what others thought of me, I stopped fearing failure and I learned to accept it, and I began to delve into my true personality for the first time in my life.

We humans have so much to learn from nature, especially teenagers. Being a part of nature has taught me to stop comparing myself to the prettier girls, to stop caring about boys, or Facebook, or the rest of it, and start caring about the things that really matter in life.
Nature gave me my life.
Comment by yiyijessicali

I certainly agree that nature allows you to reach insights about greater beauty than materialistic ones, and that it encourages you to appreciate your own identity. It is important that we are proud of ourselves and not trying to copy others.

Keep up the writing!
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 3:09:40 AM