The Concept of Money

anupregunat
It was a scorching hot day in India and, as I stepped out of the air-conditioned clothing store, I could barely stand the heat wave that hit me. Outside the streets were crowded with travelers hurrying to their locations and vendors desperately trying to beat out the competition. They weren’t the only people on the street. Barely two minutes had passed before I was approached by a small child who looked like she could’ve been in the third grade. However, she wore tattered clothes, looked dirty, and appeared to be very hungry. The child was a beggar. There aren’t just one or two beggars in the streets of India; there are hundreds, maybe thousands. Why are they all there? It is because of money.
Many people commit acts of philanthropy with their money. They gain worldwide fame and are seen as great people for their generosity and have shown that it can bring about great joy. However, would it be so bad to remove the concept of money once and for all from the world? To me, money is a despicable concept that appears as a harbinger of misfortune. More than the good, I have seen the desperation and wild desire for the coins and paper that hold such value in human hearts
In today’s world, scams and other such crimes appear to be quite common. We hear nearly every week about scandals involving politicians, businessmen, and, most often, common everyday people. The most surprising are the occasional religious leaders who are shown to have overflowing bank allowances and safes full of cash. This sort of thing is outrageous coming from individuals held in such great esteem by the public. However, what has really led them to these scandalous activities? It is money. It works its way into even the very religion that people hold dear to themselves and corrupts it.
In the past, I have stood witness to great acts of kindness and generosity by many close members of my family. They have clothed and fed many beggars when something joyous occurs in our family and almost daily give spare change to those who ask for it. However, even they who commit the acts of generosity are not free from the ugly nature of money. During our grandfather’s time, the family was nearly torn asunder due to complications in wealth. My grandfather was an upper-middle class man with a good income. However, his family wealth was depleted gradually by his sons. As the bank balance decreased, so did his friends. Although the theme is quite common, mine is a firsthand experience.
Although returning to a time of barter and trade is not plausible, it is, in my opinion, the best method created: equal exchange decided by both collaborators. I am too young to create any major change in this world so I must follow the words that are, according to Edmond Dantès in Alexander Dumas’s The Count of Monte Cristo, the wisest in the world: wait and hope.

I see and understand your frustration. Many times through my life I have wondered the same thing: why not barter and trade? There have been many sayings: "Money can't by love". "Money is the root of all evil." "Money changes people." Yet, it is the base of worldwide economies and for many, it seems a fortune much sought. Short of a life changing cataclysmic event, I don't see it ever going away. We can only try and make the best of what we have, money wise, and be all the more aware of it's ill effects to keep our own personal space and finances well balanced. You stated your feelings well!
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2011 7:37:49 PM
Comment by bugcandy

Congratulations - your essay has been selected as one of the finalists for the December student writing contest.

Check this page within the next few days as we'll be announcing the winner soon. If you are selected as the winner, we'll contact you about where to send the prize package (look for an email).

We look forward to reading more of your writing on the site! Don't hesitate to contact us with any questions.

The Stage of Life Editorial Team & Eric Thiegs, CEO StageofLife.com

P.s. By the way, if you haven't entered the current month's writing contest, we hope you do. Please feel free to tell your friends and family about being named a finalist. Congrats again!

Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2011 4:51:00 PM