STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

The Concept of Money

anupregunat
It was a scorching hot day in India and, as I stepped out of the air-conditioned clothing store, I could barely stand the heat wave that hit me. Outside the streets were crowded with travelers hurrying to their locations and vendors desperately trying to beat out the competition. They weren’t the only people on the street. Barely two minutes had passed before I was approached by a small child who looked like she could’ve been in the third grade. However, she wore tattered clothes, looked dirty, and appeared to be very hungry. The child was a beggar. There aren’t just one or two beggars in the streets of India; there are hundreds, maybe thousands. Why are they all there? It is because of money.
Many people commit acts of philanthropy with their money. They gain worldwide fame and are seen as great people for their generosity and have shown that it can bring about great joy. However, would it be so bad to remove the concept of money once and for all from the world? To me, money is a despicable concept that appears as a harbinger of misfortune. More than the good, I have seen the desperation and wild desire for the coins and paper that hold such value in human hearts
In today’s world, scams and other such crimes appear to be quite common. We hear nearly every week about scandals involving politicians, businessmen, and, most often, common everyday people. The most surprising are the occasional religious leaders who are shown to have overflowing bank allowances and safes full of cash. This sort of thing is outrageous coming from individuals held in such great esteem by the public. However, what has really led them to these scandalous activities? It is money. It works its way into even the very religion that people hold dear to themselves and corrupts it.
In the past, I have stood witness to great acts of kindness and generosity by many close members of my family. They have clothed and fed many beggars when something joyous occurs in our family and almost daily give spare change to those who ask for it. However, even they who commit the acts of generosity are not free from the ugly nature of money. During our grandfather’s time, the family was nearly torn asunder due to complications in wealth. My grandfather was an upper-middle class man with a good income. However, his family wealth was depleted gradually by his sons. As the bank balance decreased, so did his friends. Although the theme is quite common, mine is a firsthand experience.
Although returning to a time of barter and trade is not plausible, it is, in my opinion, the best method created: equal exchange decided by both collaborators. I am too young to create any major change in this world so I must follow the words that are, according to Edmond Dantès in Alexander Dumas’s The Count of Monte Cristo, the wisest in the world: wait and hope.
Rate this:
Comment by DarkStar49

I see and understand your frustration. Many times through my life I have wondered the same thing: why not barter and trade? There have been many sayings: "Money can't by love". "Money is the root of all evil." "Money changes people." Yet, it is the base of worldwide economies and for many, it seems a fortune much sought. Short of a life changing cataclysmic event, I don't see it ever going away. We can only try and make the best of what we have, money wise, and be all the more aware of it's ill effects to keep our own personal space and finances well balanced. You stated your feelings well!
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2011 7:37:49 PM
Rate this:
Comment by bugcandy

Congratulations - your essay has been selected as one of the finalists for the December student writing contest.

Check this page within the next few days as we'll be announcing the winner soon. If you are selected as the winner, we'll contact you about where to send the prize package (look for an email).

We look forward to reading more of your writing on the site! Don't hesitate to contact us with any questions.

The Stage of Life Editorial Team & Eric Thiegs, CEO StageofLife.com

P.s. By the way, if you haven't entered the current month's writing contest, we hope you do. Please feel free to tell your friends and family about being named a finalist. Congrats again!

Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2011 4:51:00 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy