STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Money: Affinity Gone Awry

Justina
Dear Money,

You’re a two-timing lousy piece of paper. I’ve tried saving you my entire life (and trust me, it’s no easy feat). And through all that time, you have the gall to inform me that you’ve been around in other people’s pants? What is this? Has my lifelong relationship with you been a sham? I thought we had something special. But I guess I was wrong. And the worst part of this whole ordeal is your blatant apathy. You never cared about me (or anybody else for that matter) as much as I cherished you.

Taking myself out of this situation, you’ve been a malignant tumor upon the lives of my family and friends. I hate that my family talks about you more than anything else - they even worry about you. You’ve put my family through a lot, you know. I don’t expect you to apologize but you could at least compensate us with your presence more often. It’s a similar dilemma with my friends. We can never hang out because they don’t have enough of you - and I think that makes them sad enough to stay home all the time. You should be ashamed of yourself.

And I’m going to college next year. I need you more than ever because college fees are expensive. In retrospect, I suppose you felt like I was using you this entire time. But that’s not the least bit true. I put you away, didn’t I - in a safe and secure place? You were never water damaged or crumpled into a wad of crinkly mass, were you? I was always good to you yet you’ve put me through this hell. And you’re not exactly the perfect specimen of entity, either. You’re heavily associated with greed, one of the Seven Deadly Sins.

I also hear that people sell their whimsical aspirations and passions for mundane occupations because the latter is more lucrative. I’m not sure how this makes you feel but it certainly depresses me. You know what? Though you may constantly haunt me throughout my life, you’ll never dominate my dreams and ambitions. I intend to become a writer, traveler extraordinaire, and humanitarian whether you’re on for the ride with me or not. It’ll be a difficult journey but anything worthwhile in life is complicated. Trust me, I’ll find a way to realize my hopes and goals. Just you wait!

And even through all this trouble, shame, sorrow, and unhappiness, I guess what I’m struggling to say is - well, I still want you, even if you don’t want me . . . but I’ll never need you. I’ve got everything I’ll ever need - a brain, a heart, courage, and an imaginary place called home.

Sincerely,
Justina
Rate this:
Comment by DarkStar49

I would hate to be the one who dissed you! =) This was a very well put and creative release of your personal frustrations with the elusive yet ever so prominent point of our time...money. You did a great job!
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2011 7:29:30 PM
Rate this:
Comment by bugcandy

I'm the CEO for the Stage of Life project here on StageofLife.com

Congratulations - your essay has been selected as one of the finalists for the December student writing contest.

Check this page within the next few days as we'll be announcing the winner soon. If you are selected as the winner, we'll contact you about where to send the prize package (look for an email).

We look forward to reading more of your writing on the site! Don't hesitate to contact us with any questions.

The Stage of Life Editorial Team & Eric Thiegs, CEO StageofLife.com

P.s. By the way, if you haven't entered the current month's writing contest, we hope you do. Please feel free to tell your friends and family about being named a finalist. Congrats again!
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2011 4:54:11 PM
Rate this:
Comment by hummingbird824

hahaha this is genius. congrats on the win!
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 1:08:53 AM
Rate this:
Comment by sullysolipsism

Congratulaciones! :)
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 2:36:21 PM
Rate this:
Comment by Justina

Thank you everyone!
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 9:46:05 PM
Rate this:
Comment by bookworm99

I think this is a wonderful way to express your feelings about money. I love this essay, I read it over and over thinking about how right you are. You are very talented, and I hope for you to keep writing your whole life.Writing is your gift, and I hope to read more from you. :) By the way, CONGRATULATIONS! You really deserved it. You are genius, it was HILARIOUS! LOVE IT!
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 9:56:11 AM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy