Money: Affinity Gone Awry

Justina
Dear Money,

You’re a two-timing lousy piece of paper. I’ve tried saving you my entire life (and trust me, it’s no easy feat). And through all that time, you have the gall to inform me that you’ve been around in other people’s pants? What is this? Has my lifelong relationship with you been a sham? I thought we had something special. But I guess I was wrong. And the worst part of this whole ordeal is your blatant apathy. You never cared about me (or anybody else for that matter) as much as I cherished you.

Taking myself out of this situation, you’ve been a malignant tumor upon the lives of my family and friends. I hate that my family talks about you more than anything else - they even worry about you. You’ve put my family through a lot, you know. I don’t expect you to apologize but you could at least compensate us with your presence more often. It’s a similar dilemma with my friends. We can never hang out because they don’t have enough of you - and I think that makes them sad enough to stay home all the time. You should be ashamed of yourself.

And I’m going to college next year. I need you more than ever because college fees are expensive. In retrospect, I suppose you felt like I was using you this entire time. But that’s not the least bit true. I put you away, didn’t I - in a safe and secure place? You were never water damaged or crumpled into a wad of crinkly mass, were you? I was always good to you yet you’ve put me through this hell. And you’re not exactly the perfect specimen of entity, either. You’re heavily associated with greed, one of the Seven Deadly Sins.

I also hear that people sell their whimsical aspirations and passions for mundane occupations because the latter is more lucrative. I’m not sure how this makes you feel but it certainly depresses me. You know what? Though you may constantly haunt me throughout my life, you’ll never dominate my dreams and ambitions. I intend to become a writer, traveler extraordinaire, and humanitarian whether you’re on for the ride with me or not. It’ll be a difficult journey but anything worthwhile in life is complicated. Trust me, I’ll find a way to realize my hopes and goals. Just you wait!

And even through all this trouble, shame, sorrow, and unhappiness, I guess what I’m struggling to say is - well, I still want you, even if you don’t want me . . . but I’ll never need you. I’ve got everything I’ll ever need - a brain, a heart, courage, and an imaginary place called home.

Justina

I would hate to be the one who dissed you! =) This was a very well put and creative release of your personal frustrations with the elusive yet ever so prominent point of our time...money. You did a great job!
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2011 7:29:30 PM
Comment by bugcandy

I'm the CEO for the Stage of Life project here on StageofLife.com

Congratulations - your essay has been selected as one of the finalists for the December student writing contest.

Check this page within the next few days as we'll be announcing the winner soon. If you are selected as the winner, we'll contact you about where to send the prize package (look for an email).

We look forward to reading more of your writing on the site! Don't hesitate to contact us with any questions.

The Stage of Life Editorial Team & Eric Thiegs, CEO StageofLife.com

P.s. By the way, if you haven't entered the current month's writing contest, we hope you do. Please feel free to tell your friends and family about being named a finalist. Congrats again!
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2011 4:54:11 PM
Comment by hummingbird824

hahaha this is genius. congrats on the win!
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 1:08:53 AM
Comment by sullysolipsism

Congratulaciones! :)
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 2:36:21 PM
Comment by Justina

Thank you everyone!
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 9:46:05 PM
Comment by bookworm99

I think this is a wonderful way to express your feelings about money. I love this essay, I read it over and over thinking about how right you are. You are very talented, and I hope for you to keep writing your whole life.Writing is your gift, and I hope to read more from you. :) By the way, CONGRATULATIONS! You really deserved it. You are genius, it was HILARIOUS! LOVE IT!
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 9:56:11 AM