STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Youtube: Exploration, Inspiration, Manifestation, Creation

PHILosophical
I have traveled through nations, time, ideologies, and hypothetical dimensions within the confines of my swivel chair. Youtube isn’t a reality-distorting time machine; it’s a medium that grants me, a couch potato glued to my desk, the chance to see other worlds and learn anything I hunger for through a keyword search.

One moment I could be the student of an animation tutorial or a brief lecture on U.S. history, and within a few clicks and an internet second, I would be watching a stop-motion video that brings lego figures to life or a movie scene that recreates the Civil War with impeccable accuracy. History. Cat videos. Politics. Parodies. There is a video for every. Single. Thing. No matter how mundane or insignificant.

A domain of endless content, Youtube is a crossroads for every area of study, every walk of life, and every recorded passion. Driven by either procrastination or adventurous curiosity, I could hardly keep myself from exploring, realizing the opportunity to find what I want for myself in this life.

Following a crumb trail of movie clips and animated shorts, I found my own passion: storytelling.

I don’t just enjoy stories, but I daydream of sprawling epics and cinematic narratives from the moment I’m awake and continue building on them until sleep overcomes me in bed. I had a passion for the creation of worlds, characters, and stories, and I sought some way to share them with others. I looked for some way to make my fantasy reality!

The medium I was looking for showed up during one of my bouts of curiosity on Youtube. It began with an animation made using still images and lego - an odd imitation of life that shows fluidity in the right hands. I started experimenting with my own minifigures and bricks after binge-watching some more animated videos. With the aid of a keyword search, I acquired all I needed for the art: materials, tricks, filming, editing, uploading.

Without ever needing to leave my desk, I learned the craft of stop motion and honed my skills. What began as short clips and frame rate tests evolved into short stories and my own narrative told through lego pieces. Seeing the viewer count rise on a video I uploaded filled me with ecstasy!

I don’t care too much about numbers and ratings; what I care about are signs that others have seen and enjoyed my stories. The people who posted those animations that sparked my filmmaking interest had their own daydreams and worlds they wanted to share. Not for fame, money, or self-benefit. They did it for the sake of providing something to think about and enjoy.

Isn’t that what entertainment is all about?

Youtube, for all of its idiosyncrasies, allowed them, and I, unparalleled access to peoples’ visions. I can see new worlds, challenge myself, and appreciate others’ talents.

And as much as I despise losing time over video-watching binges, I have to thank Youtube for helping me to find my passion.
Rate this:
Comment by admin

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your YouTube essay being selected as one of our top ten essays for our June / July teen writing contest.

Our editors are currently voting on the winning essay along with the 2nd, 3rd place and runners up. We will post our results officially by the end of August on our essay winners page:
http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests/WritingContestWinners.aspx

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and feel free to share your accomplishment with the world.

Sincerely,
Rebecca Thiegs
StageofLife.com Co-Founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Monday, August 4, 2014 7:19:14 PM
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your YouTube essay being selected as our teen 1st place winning essay for the June / July 2014 writing contest.

We will be contacting you via your registration email with more details.

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and feel free to share your accomplishment with the world.

Sincerely,
Rebecca Thiegs
StageofLife.com Co-Founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 7:45:12 PM
Rate this:
Comment by PHILosophical

Thank you for choosing me!
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 8:40:23 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy