Youtube: Exploration, Inspiration, Manifestation, Creation

PHILosophical
I have traveled through nations, time, ideologies, and hypothetical dimensions within the confines of my swivel chair. Youtube isn’t a reality-distorting time machine; it’s a medium that grants me, a couch potato glued to my desk, the chance to see other worlds and learn anything I hunger for through a keyword search.

One moment I could be the student of an animation tutorial or a brief lecture on U.S. history, and within a few clicks and an internet second, I would be watching a stop-motion video that brings lego figures to life or a movie scene that recreates the Civil War with impeccable accuracy. History. Cat videos. Politics. Parodies. There is a video for every. Single. Thing. No matter how mundane or insignificant.

A domain of endless content, Youtube is a crossroads for every area of study, every walk of life, and every recorded passion. Driven by either procrastination or adventurous curiosity, I could hardly keep myself from exploring, realizing the opportunity to find what I want for myself in this life.

Following a crumb trail of movie clips and animated shorts, I found my own passion: storytelling.

I don’t just enjoy stories, but I daydream of sprawling epics and cinematic narratives from the moment I’m awake and continue building on them until sleep overcomes me in bed. I had a passion for the creation of worlds, characters, and stories, and I sought some way to share them with others. I looked for some way to make my fantasy reality!

The medium I was looking for showed up during one of my bouts of curiosity on Youtube. It began with an animation made using still images and lego - an odd imitation of life that shows fluidity in the right hands. I started experimenting with my own minifigures and bricks after binge-watching some more animated videos. With the aid of a keyword search, I acquired all I needed for the art: materials, tricks, filming, editing, uploading.

Without ever needing to leave my desk, I learned the craft of stop motion and honed my skills. What began as short clips and frame rate tests evolved into short stories and my own narrative told through lego pieces. Seeing the viewer count rise on a video I uploaded filled me with ecstasy!

I don’t care too much about numbers and ratings; what I care about are signs that others have seen and enjoyed my stories. The people who posted those animations that sparked my filmmaking interest had their own daydreams and worlds they wanted to share. Not for fame, money, or self-benefit. They did it for the sake of providing something to think about and enjoy.

Isn’t that what entertainment is all about?

Youtube, for all of its idiosyncrasies, allowed them, and I, unparalleled access to peoples’ visions. I can see new worlds, challenge myself, and appreciate others’ talents.

And as much as I despise losing time over video-watching binges, I have to thank Youtube for helping me to find my passion.
Comment by admin

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your YouTube essay being selected as one of our top ten essays for our June / July teen writing contest.

Our editors are currently voting on the winning essay along with the 2nd, 3rd place and runners up. We will post our results officially by the end of August on our essay winners page:

Posted: Monday, August 4, 2014 7:19:14 PM

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your YouTube essay being selected as our teen 1st place winning essay for the June / July 2014 writing contest.

We will be contacting you via your registration email with more details.

Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 7:45:12 PM
Comment by PHILosophical

Thank you for choosing me!
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 8:40:23 PM