My Hero is Dobby (the House Elf) [Harry Potter Series]

Danielle.Moore
Little Dobby, with his bat-like ears and huge eyes full of wonder, is the essence of a hero within an elfish form. His presence during the school years of young Harry Potter was brief, but certainly evident from his selfless acts from his heart. He warned Harry of the dangers of going back to Hogwarts as a total stranger, and then continued to warn him throughout the school year, no matter how much it made Harry hate him. Once he was free, he defied conformity by asking for better treatment as a house-elf and worker, which is what he believed in no matter how many people and elves doubted him. In Harry’s fourth, fifth, and sixth years, Dobby remained loyal to Harry and his friends by running countless errands such as getting him gillyweed to save his life and reputation in the Twiwizard Tournament, showing Harry the Room of Requirement as a hiding place for Dumbledore’s Army, and spying on Malfoy when Harry believed he was conspiring as a Death Eater to get Voldemort in the school.
In the seventh book, he does the bravest and most selfless act of all- he gives up his life. Harry, Ron and Hermione are caught by the Death Eaters, and are sentenced to an imminent and violent death. Dobby appears, and saves the Trio by teleporting them to the house of Ron’s brother, Bill, and his wife Fleur. As Dobby is taking his last trip, he is stabbed in the heart by Bellatrix Lestrange. As he lies on the ground of the Weasleys’ home, his last words are in his last breath: “Harry… Potter”.
The loyalty, bravery and sheer willpower are what truly makes Dobby a hero. He refuses to conform, to stay safe within the boundaries of old stereotypes and normalcy in general. His bright outlook on life even through times of danger can make any HP fan smile, as does his gullible sense of humor. Above his naïve tendencies, he is a true friend to all he meets and is willing to do anything for them, even at the cost of his own life. He escaped abuse and was brave enough to ask for more out of those he would be subordinate to. Dobby may be small, but his heroic attributes certainly are not.