STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Heroes Are the Men and Women of the Armed Forces

BetweenMe&U
My hero is all the members of the armed forces. The sacrifices made everyday by the members of the military show how selfless and honorable they are. The military personnel have such attributes as courage and overwhelming hope which never cease to inspire.

Time is something that can’t be bought. It almost always runs out too quickly and yet the members of the military give so much time; some even give what little time they have left in this world. It’s truly inspiring for people to volunteer to fight for the millions of people in the U.S., including me. They venture into unknown lands and risk their lives literally everyday for people, many of which they will never meet. Most Americans know that our troops sacrifice but they don’t realize just how much.

My brother in law for example, deployed the day after his 22nd birthday leaving his eight month pregnant wife at home. His deployment lasted for six months and cost him such memories as his first wedding anniversary, the birth of his first child, and caused him to miss the first months of his only child’s life which can never be replaced. Monday, September 27th, Jeremy comes home and will get to hold his son for the first time. Some soldiers sacrifice more than just time and memories, but their hopes, dreams, and futures.

Recently a soldier came home on his 21st birthday, but he didn’t return the way he left. He returned home in a wheelchair after losing both legs and one of his arms fighting the war in Afghanistan. He got robbed of his future while trying to secure better futures for his fellow Americans. This is just two of the thousands of stories of fathers that can’t walk their daughters down the aisle or of parents that can’t tuck their children in every night.

In all branches of the military, courage and hope are the uniforms worn by the soldiers every day. Courage, to act in spite of their fears, to face the eminent danger and the unknown. Hope that what they do is right and justified, hope that what they do will make a difference in the futures of their people, and hope that they will live to see its benefits.

It inspires me to think of the men and women in the armed forces risking their lives while coming face to face with their worst fears when I cower under my covers when I hear lightning. This inspires me to not be afraid, to realize how good I have it, to be a better person and to treat life as the precious gift it is. Also, their overwhelming hope inspires me to show them how they do help, to show them that they make a difference and that they are appreciated.

In essence, the members of the military are my heroes, due to their stead fast determination to endure the sacrifices and wear courage and hope to inspire the people of the US.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy