STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Who is my hero?

RobertL
My Hero is Maurice Jones-Drew
Robert Lindsey
9/26/10
Sandalwood Highschool

“It’s a bird, It’s a plane,…no it’s Superman!”, that’s one of the most famous mottos for a superhero. Maurice Jones-Drew’s nickname of many nicknames is superman. The adversity he faces has resonated all throughout the NFL and the world as it stands today. His story is the definition of anyone can do anything that they put their mind to, if you dream high enough, your dreams will come true.
At five foot six and some change, MJD plays with a major chip on his shoulder. Drew’s grandfather, who is also his mentor, never lived to see Jones-Drew carry out his last wish. The last wish was simply this, “I don’t want you to go pro until you break at least one record in college”. MJD’s senior year in college is when he succeeded and fulfilled his grandfather’s wish and broke almost every record as a running back. A star in college and a future star in the national football league, but in the first round of the NFL draft all 32 teams passed up on him, but in the second round the Jacksonville Jaguars selected him, and his career took off from there. Known as a bowling ball, he simply bounced off defenders twice his size, however no defender could prepare for the strength that he brings to the table on every attempt. He made sure everyone had their chinstraps on tight on every play.
“Mojo” is my hero because I feel like I can relate to him in so many ways. I’ve never been the tallest guy on the basketball court, certainly not the strongest. However, when I step on that court, I bring my sense of determination and aggression, no one will outplay me in my head I will win every battle. Many of my opponents would refer to me as “aggressive Robert”, because I would do everything in my power to win. Jones-Drew does the same thing, faced with outweighing odds, he kind of plays a chess match, he gives up size for strength and football IQ. Never quitting on a play, and forever getting the last effort and sacrificing himself for the game of football. He is an inspiration to everyone who watches him, and as an inspiration, he commands respect of anyone who opposes him. With “Mojo” as an icon, he encourages all young people to keep their heads up high and never quit on their dreams. That to me deserves the upmost attention, I salute anyone who can accomplish that.
As a player, and as a person, Maurice Jones-Drew is able to combine all of his talents into one unstoppable force both on and off the field. I tip my hat to you Maurice Jones-Drew, because I too have been inspired by your incredible abilities. Forever will I know that my dreams can come true.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy