My Hero is Tyra Banks

alala904
Growing up we look up to certain people we admire such as parents, brothers or sisters, or a celebrity. These people may inspire you daily or working on a cause that you feel passionate about. Either way these people inspire us for one reason or another. My hero is Tyra Banks, the former fashion model and, now, media mogul. Tyra Banks is my hero because of her hard work ethics and her high self-esteem. With those two principles Tyra Banks became one of the most influential people in America (Time magazine).
There are many words to describe Tyra Banks; model, daytime talk show host, producer, hostess and judge of America’s Next Top Model, actress, and more. How can one person be all of this? Through hard work, and that’s what Tyra did. At the age of 17, in 1990, Tyra walked on runways in Paris while booking 25 shows. By 1997 she became the well known Victoria’s Secret model and the first African-America woman on Sports Illustrated magazine. She ran career like a corporation. After reading an article of her role model, Cindy Crawford, owning offices, Tyra wanted headquarters. She started from her brother’s room to an actual real office. Even though she was a successful model she still held on to her dream as a TV producer. She then started a media production company call Bankable and so America’s Next Top Model is born. From her history of careers Tyra’s dream was with her from the very beginning and she worked hard step by step to achieve that dream. And this is an inspiration and motivation for me.
In addition to Tyra’s hard work ethics, she also have a high self esteem. Growing up Tyra was frequently criticized for her looks. At a child Tyra was very tall and thin. She claimed that she even looked awkward. By junior year in high school Tyra decided to become a model but it wasn’t until her freshmen year in college that she was signed up into a company. From then there on she was in the public eye especially in 2007 where tabloids mocked her for her weight gain. Tyra then responded in People’s magazine that she “still feel hot” and later she tells the critics on her talk show “Kiss my fat a--!”. After that issue Tyra launched her “So What” campaign that promotes a positive body images. With her high self esteem Tyra ignored and react to the harsh comments of her peers and critics.
Tyra Banks is my hero because I admire her hard work and high self esteem, two principles that we all need to go through challenges. With both principles in mind, Tyra went from the tall awkward looking young girl to a fashion model to a successful media mogul.