My Hero is Ellen DeGeneres

sarahkaufmann
“My hero is Ellen DeGeneres”
Sarah Kaufmann
5th period
9/23/10

Does everyone have a hero? Someone they look up to at all times, in times of happiness or agony? Heroes commonly influence someone for better or worse. Some well known heroes include Martin Luther King Jr., a revolutionary leader, and Henry Ford an inventor of the first model T car. A hero can be a person who has risked their life while exhibiting courage or simply someone that displays morally desiring characteristics.

There is always that one person, which someone looks up to when someone is reflecting on their life or actions. No one has ever saved me from a burning building, or saved my life. But there is one person that makes me laugh everyday. One of my heroes happens to be the well known comedian, Ellen DeGeneres. Comedians remind you to never take life too seriously.

The average day hero can be a person fighting for our country, a well known figure, or even a parent. Heroes have the nobility to influence people by doing chastely things. My hero is simply a comedian. Ellen DeGeneres entertains people with her humor in a benign way. Laughter can be the easiest method to access a person’s emotion. Laughter can help you remember the good times or help you forget your troubles. Comedians have the ability to access a person’s emotion without necessarily trying. The Ellen DeGeneres show is a witty comedy show that entertains the viewers. DeGeneres was named Showtime’s Funniest Person in America in 1982.

Ellen DeGeneres has also won twelve Emmys and numerous other awards for her work and charitable efforts; including the Wyler award for publicizing the ethical decision to avoid using animal products. DeGeneres also launched the Small Change Campaign to benefit Feeding America. Ellen has donated numerous times to natural disaster causes, and put her fame to good use.

Joseph Campbell once said “A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself”. Ellen DeGeneres is a benevolent and humorous person that continually makes impacts in the world. My definition of a hero is someone I can look up to at all times when reflecting on myself. A hero does things you would like to do, and is someone you aspire to be.