Questions and Stories about Empty Nest and Retirement

Listed below is the compilation of all of the questions and stories that retirees and those with an empty nest have asked, shared, or submitted as a response to our national writing contest. Topics range from education, to money, to relationships, to health, and many more in between. Do you have a story to share about your experiences being retired or adjusting to an empty nest? Click the "Share Your Story" button to add your voice to StageofLife.com!

Read Empty Nest and Retirement Questions and Stories

Now Browsing: Make a Difference

I received a fun little comparison between 1965 and 2013 and wanted to share it with the Stage of Life community. If you're a Baby Boomer, you may get a kick out of this (or it'll depress you!)...

1965: Long hair
2013: Longing for hair

1965: KEG
2013: EKG

1965: Acid rock
2013: Acid reflux

1965: Moving to California because it's cool
2013: Moving to Arizona because it's warm

1965: Trying to look like Marlon Brando

Hello All,

Stage of Life is proud to announce its latest endeavor - the development of the first mobile storytelling game! For the last three months, we have been putting our creative efforts into drafting Writing Race, a multiplayer story writing game for Apple iPhone where friends will collaboratively (or competitively) write a story together using their mobile phone.

Our idea to expand Stage of Life’s literacy initiative to the mobile realm began as some scribbling on

2012 is a year to remember. The 113th Congress we elected will include more women than ever before, including women of all races and sexual orientation.

New Hampshire made a clean sweep with its female governor and all-female house delegation, joining its incumbent female senators. There were also many women taking state and local offices.

One of the most interesting presidential candidates was Jill Stein, of the Green Party. Hardly noticed in the Obama-Romney fracas, her

As one of the Stage of Life Editors keeping an eye out for products and services that can be of assistance to Baby Boomers, I came across the company Wearever. With more Boomers taking care of their aging parents, not to mention aging themselves, the often taboo topic of incontinence is something not everyone is comfortable talking about.

Because of that, we asked Wearever to share their thoughts about this issue in the hopes that it'll help those of you dealing with it, either with

"America's Retirees: Vote the Issues, Not the Party Line", a new two and a half minute online video animation from ProtectSeniors.Org, highlights voting for federal candidates who support retiree economic issues.

We urge you to have a look (by clicking on the title of the video above) and forward it to fellow retirees to encourage them to join in the fight to protect our earned retiree healthcare benefits!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKc0yljaoWg&feature=plcp

September 1941, a few months before Pearl Harbor and WWII, I was the new 8th grade Social Studies teacher assigned to a school that was a make-shift solution to overcrowding. In a reciprocal agreement between a local parish in need of funds and a school system in need of space, the city rented the middle floor of a parochial academy. Supposedly temporary, this arrangement lasted for two decades.

The building was comfortable, with wonderful cross-ventilation, ideal for capturing the

Reading the newspaper article about Anders Breivik, the right-wing assassin responsible for an attack unparalleled in Norway’s history, I think of the chain of events which brought him to my mind.

“It could have been us,” wrote Lee Brooks, my dear talented nephew, musical director of the annual Oslo Freedom Forum. The forum, supported by world leaders, Amnesty International, the Nobel Peace Center, the University of Oslo and others--business, political and cultural leaders as well as

I am Leonardo. As I live on a small island, the title of my blog is “Stories of an Islander”. I was born in summer of 42. So now I am 70 and I invite you to read my blog.

For a change there is no business connected to my blog. My passion is writing and my aim is to tell stories which happened and are still happening directly or indirectly to me and my family. Mind you I am just an ordinary man, nothing spectacular……I am not a politician or an astronaut and I am not telling you how t

For my first story on Stage of Life, I will attempt to answer the question,"How did I get Here?"

As a Christmas present for my mother last year my son and I produced a music video to celebrate her life and have some fun with the fact that she had bought herself a Mazda Miata at the age of 83. We posted it on Youtube so family and friends could share in the fun. I thought Mazda might find it funny and it ended up on a e-magazine sub-site for Miata owners.

One day last week

My grandfather was an indefatigable man. Having grown up in a destitute village in China where finding tomorrow's bread is not of small concern, throughout his life, my grandfather never stopped toiling. Even after retirement, he couldn't stop working. Believing that fortune always befalls the one who suffers the greatest, my grandfather refused to take even a small break from life's atrocities.

At first it was the idea of writing a book. My grandfather t

<<Prev  2 of 4    Next>>