Questions and Stories about Empty Nest and Retirement

Listed below is the compilation of all of the questions and stories that retirees and those with an empty nest have asked, shared, or submitted as a response to our national writing contest. Topics range from education, to money, to relationships, to health, and many more in between. Do you have a story to share about your experiences being retired or adjusting to an empty nest? Click the "Share Your Story" button to add your voice to StageofLife.com!

Read Empty Nest and Retirement Questions and Stories

Now Browsing: Make a Difference

At our independent living facility, it is protocol to address residents by their full names (e.g., Mrs. or Mr. Brown), but the help is addressed by first names only. In addition, when an aide brings a resident to the dining room, the aide must leave and go back to the resident’s room until she is called. That aide acts as an escort for activities and, after each, must also wait to be called.

The other day, I gave a lecture to the residents on a book I authored, My Life among the

I have it posted on my blog
http://retirement-income.net/blog/retirement-income/nest-egg/

Did you know, if both you and your spouse are age 62+, you can buy a home for a primary residence and make no principal and interest payments for as long as you live? Sounds too good to be true, right? Well you can with the FHA-backed HECM for purchase program. It’s more common name is reverse mortgage. Everyone hears that and shies away. Let me dispel some of the myths about this loan for you.
1. I don’t really own my home. You are on the title and the home can never be taken

Novice writers, like newlyweds, thrive on immediate satisfaction, but only those who have loved long know the meaning of passion, its pain, sacrifice and reward. From that first adolescent crush on words, the reveling in meaning, comes the impulse for expression. That seed is planted; the process begins; the discomfort of the thinking process as growth and development proceeds with the bloating of ideas, until the painful birth of the brain child.

In the beginning, the child must be

I received a fun little comparison between 1965 and 2013 and wanted to share it with the Stage of Life community. If you're a Baby Boomer, you may get a kick out of this (or it'll depress you!)...

1965: Long hair
2013: Longing for hair

1965: KEG
2013: EKG

1965: Acid rock
2013: Acid reflux

1965: Moving to California because it's cool
2013: Moving to Arizona because it's warm

1965: Trying to look like Marlon Brando

Hello All,

Stage of Life is proud to announce its latest endeavor - the development of the first mobile storytelling game! For the last three months, we have been putting our creative efforts into drafting Writing Race, a multiplayer story writing game for Apple iPhone where friends will collaboratively (or competitively) write a story together using their mobile phone.

Our idea to expand Stage of Life’s literacy initiative to the mobile realm began as some scribbling on

2012 is a year to remember. The 113th Congress we elected will include more women than ever before, including women of all races and sexual orientation.

New Hampshire made a clean sweep with its female governor and all-female house delegation, joining its incumbent female senators. There were also many women taking state and local offices.

One of the most interesting presidential candidates was Jill Stein, of the Green Party. Hardly noticed in the Obama-Romney fracas, her

As one of the Stage of Life Editors keeping an eye out for products and services that can be of assistance to Baby Boomers, I came across the company Wearever. With more Boomers taking care of their aging parents, not to mention aging themselves, the often taboo topic of incontinence is something not everyone is comfortable talking about.

Because of that, we asked Wearever to share their thoughts about this issue in the hopes that it'll help those of you dealing with it, either with

"America's Retirees: Vote the Issues, Not the Party Line", a new two and a half minute online video animation from ProtectSeniors.Org, highlights voting for federal candidates who support retiree economic issues.

We urge you to have a look (by clicking on the title of the video above) and forward it to fellow retirees to encourage them to join in the fight to protect our earned retiree healthcare benefits!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKc0yljaoWg&feature=plcp

September 1941, a few months before Pearl Harbor and WWII, I was the new 8th grade Social Studies teacher assigned to a school that was a make-shift solution to overcrowding. In a reciprocal agreement between a local parish in need of funds and a school system in need of space, the city rented the middle floor of a parochial academy. Supposedly temporary, this arrangement lasted for two decades.

The building was comfortable, with wonderful cross-ventilation, ideal for capturing the

<<Prev  2 of 4    Next>>