DIY CPR

linda.l.anderson
We were finally going to do it.

After eight years of making do with the threadbare, dog and kid stained, lifeless green carpet (picked out by the previous owners) in our bedroom, Downtown Dad and I decided it was time to do something nice for ourselves for once, and replace it!

But – replacing flooring is never JUST the flooring. Pffft! If you replace the flooring, you MUST paint the walls, and if you paint the walls, you HAVE to repaint the ceiling, and once you’ve changed those things, you’ve GOT to replace the bedding and the accessories… Our bedroom needed to be revived STAT with full-on CPR – Carpet, Paint, Renovate!

Luckily, in our 25 years together, we’ve established our mutual likes, and preferences in the bedroom… for a color scheme… (What were YOU thinking?) Our inspiration actually came one Sunday morning while watching the Melissa Harris Perry show on MSNBC. Her studio set is the perfect soothing shade of teal. Bright, but not heavy. Complex yet lively, with an undeniable progressive finish.

We picked and agreed on the sandy shade of low pile bedroom carpet and coordinating laminate tile for the bath and closet, with hardly a pause. We sifted unerringly through the thousands of varying hues of teal paint, ending up simultaneously with the perfect analogous color scheme for the walls. We even remembered to buy paint to brighten and freshen the ceiling.

The only thing left was to move the furniture out so the carpet professionals could remove the horrid old carpet, and put down the new flooring while we were on vacation. That done, we would paint the ceiling and walls ourselves – judging by how smoothly our decision process had been, how hard could that be? It might even be – romantic!

I mean really, have you ever noticed how far home improvement stores will go in order to make DIY projects look like the ultimate husband-wife bonding activities? Brochures and photo displays imply that laying tile, painting, or refinishing your kitchen cabinets together can do more for your marriage than 7 days at a Sandals Resort. Stylishly dressed models with nary a stray drop (or drop cloth) in sight, gaze meaningfully into each other’s eyes, seductively brandishing fully loaded paint rollers, in a hardware version of the pottery wheel scene in the movie Ghost.

Our version of painting the bedroom wasn’t anything like the brochure versions. While Downtown Dad could paint in a high wind using a mad cat for a brush and never get a drop on him, I became a walking paint chip. And while we didn’t try anything as kinky as painting in the nude, what we did wear could have landed us on the People of Wal-Mart website. But we are both more than happy with our choices, and in the end, doing something that was truly for ourselves was exhilarating. The time we spent together, while not steamy 50 Shades of Grey (or teal as it were) material, it did turn out to be a wonderful bonding experience.

And the bonus is we finally have a romantic, relaxing haven, free of dogs and kids, and someone else’s choices, plus, now we’re not making do – we’re doing it!

Congratulations! I thought your CPR was great. We're selling our house and the Realtor made us paint everything white. ("Oh not white white.") Absolutely boring and definitely not a husband and wife effort.
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 7:42:40 PM

Welcome to Stage Of Life! As a seasoned home improvement victim, I can relate to your experiences. But despite the fact that our home is a 'stage set' for about half a dozen projects which are currently ongoing as I write... I'm sure you'll agree that the satisfaction of seeing a project done and being able to relax in that cozy room is grand!
Posted: Saturday, March 2, 2013 8:58:23 PM
Comment by Suzanne

Love your humorous writing style, "XX" undertones and the pop culture references used to tell a story about something as mundane as painting. Very funny!

I tried to visit your personal web site and was re-directed to a photography blog. Are you still blogging?

Thanks for sharing. I'll look forward to your next post.
Posted: Monday, March 4, 2013 2:41:42 PM

Baby Boomers (and older!) blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for "Empty Nesters" and those in (or near) retirement to share stories about the adventure of life in an online journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories from Baby Boomers (and older), or check out the writing contest for Baby Boomers, quotes about retirement, etiquette advice, videos about retirement, discounts for retirement, and other resources for those in the Empty Nest and Retirement stage of life.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your life experiences, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.

Enter National Writing ContestWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

Writing Competitions for All Ages

September 2014 Writing Contest Prompt:
  In 500 words or less, answer this question:  "Who Do You Think You Are?"

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter our writing contests.

Prizes:  Gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Blogging contest prize on StageofLife.com 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p