Around the World in 80 Emails

Miriam
Granddaughter Elishe introduced me to Facebook, thus opening the email portal with former high school students, friends and relatives. The latest round of emails began with Elishe, announcing a pregnancy and describing the parent-teacher conferences in the school where she teaches in Jerusalem.

Then an email from Nephew Lee, the talented composer in Brooklyn, giving me access to his 7000 picture gallery and editing my family tree.

An email from Cousin Chuck in California. This weekly communication about family genealogy began long ago with a phone call, "This is Cousin Chuck." "I don't have a cousin Chuck." "You do. Your grandmother and my grandfather were sister and brother."

From Alaska, a former student now dentist, describes a product he invented, which he used to repair a bald eagle's beak.

From Tennessee, a soon-to-be retired young man trying to get me to vote Republican.

From a geologist, photos of a UN consulting group in Northwest China.

An architect, describing his work on Ellis Island.

From Grandson Aaron, studying in China, recounting the details of keeping kosher far from his home in Israel.

From Grandson Nathan, with the Israel Defense Forces, thanking me for my jokes and reassuring me that he is fine on the Syrian border.

From Daughter Debby, reminding me of "Pars for Parkinson’s," a golf tournament to raise money for the Michael J. Fox Foundation.

From Cousin Ellen in Italy, a photo of her nephew Danny on the Hollywood red carpet with Jackie Chan. As winner of the National Karate Competition, Danny was honored at the opening of "The Karate Kid."

From Nephew Seth and his fiancé touring in SE Asia, writing of their travel on the Nam Ou River--wide and muddy with scattered fishing boats and water buffalo near shore—and their bus ride during which the Asian riders are car sick.

From a friend whose daughter's wedding was ruined by Superstorm Sandy--60 guests couldn't get there, including the clergyman.

Cousin Theresa in Argentina, telling me her sister, Ariella, is working on a new movie and sending photos of her brother Roberto's paintings--so expensive!

From Cousin Gayle, who raises ponies and seeing-eye dogs on her farm in Virginia.

Recipes from teenage Cousin Charlotte, raising funds for charity with her cupcake sale.

From Niece Rebecca, restaurant chef in Boston, a winner of the TV "Chopped Competition," requesting my vote in a current bake-off.

From Maureen and Howard, photos of their wedding in Italy.

Happy Birthdays from the great-grandchildren--Amiad, Maayan, Benjamin, Yonatan and Naomi in Israel; Isaiah and Elijah in Upstate New York; Alleeza and Leo in New Jersey.

From Daughter Anne and family, reminding me that they’re taking me to "Jersey Boys" for my birthday.

From Great-Nephew Mark in Brooklyn, whose cartoon "Slapjack" just won a first place award in Cannes; also a notice that the movie "Something about Kevin," starring his son will be shown locally.

From Mimi in Cleveland, a photo of her son's fabulous parachute ballet of the Star of David.

And from Warren, my blog helper, who just moved from Virginia to Wisconsin in time for subzero weather. Hugs from and back to him.

It sure is a different dynamic anymore, isn't it Miriam!? Did you ever think it would be like this? I love hearing happy stories of the closeness within the family! You sound like your enjoying this!
-Greg Phillips
Editor, Stage Of Life
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2013 6:54:46 AM
Comment by Suzanne

Miriam,

Your Face book feed contains more entertaining and useful information than most daily newspapers. What an incredible family.

P.S. You must miss Warren terribly. He seems like a very nice guy.
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 11:11:43 PM
Comment by Girlboxer1970

Miriam,
This is a very cool essay! I enjoyed reading it. Welcome to the world of Internet!
P.
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 6:33:00 PM

Baby Boomers (and older!) blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for "Empty Nesters" and those in (or near) retirement to share stories about the adventure of life in an online journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories from Baby Boomers (and older), or check out the writing contest for Baby Boomers, quotes about retirement, etiquette advice, videos about retirement, discounts for retirement, and other resources for those in the Empty Nest and Retirement stage of life.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your life experiences, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.

Enter National Writing ContestWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

December 2015 Writing ContestDecember 2014 Writing Contest Prompt:
  In 500 words or less, share a story about a random act of kindness.  It can be a story about how you performed the act of kindness or one was done to you.

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter StageofLife.com writing contests.

Prizes:  Gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p