The Reason for Bond Reasoning

martyt
“I’m buying a bond because I don’t want to lose any of my principal!” Not great reasoning or logic and not exactly accurate.

An investor buys bonds (or bond funds) for many reasons but their investment objective(s) must drive that decision. The two primary reasons to invest in bonds (also called fixed income securities) are diversification and/or steady income. Although investment portfolios normally include a fixed income component, if either of these are not your investment priority, the amount allocated to them must be a consideration.

Diversification

A well-constructed investment portfolio is built with components that react differently to varying market behavior. These components are investment vehicles that are expected to have positive long term performance but do not move in the same direction – said to be non-correlated - at the same time. Bonds combined with stocks in a portfolio are a good example of these (non-correlated) components because they typically react opposite of one another.

Case Example: One of worst days the stock market had in the recent past was February 28, 2007. The Wall Street Journal of March 1, 2007 reported, “Tuesday’s market drop left few financial assets unscathed. Not only did all 30 stocks of the Dow Jones Average fall, so did all but two of the stocks in the S&P 500-stock index. Of 51 country stock markets followed by MSCI Barra indexes, only two - Jordan and Morocco – didn’t fall. Emerging-market and junk bonds prices fell sharply. Even the price of gold, where investors typically run in times of trouble, fell. (US) Treasuries, another haven in times of peril, did rise.”

In a diversified portfolio, the use of high quality and US treasury bonds can mitigate even days like this one.

Steady Income

If your investment objective is steady, consistent cash flow over a period of time (for retirement or college funding), investing in bonds is an excellent investment alternative. It is however, very important to understand that even an investment in the safest bonds – US Treasuries – does not guaranty the return of your principal, unless you hold them until they mature. Although the income they generate will not vary over their life, their value most certainly will.

Case Example I - Retirement Income: One of my clients wanted to retire at 62. Her husband was already 65 and retired, collecting his full measure of Social Security, and they were ready to begin the rest of their lives. He had a small pension, they had some savings and proceeds from downsized their home. They calculated that they needed an annual cash flow of $65,000. The pension and their combined Social Security generated (and guaranteed them) $45,000 of that requirement. Their savings, and proceeds from the sale of their home, were pooled together and triple A, intermediate term government bonds were bought to provide the balance.

These bonds were bought for income and will be held until maturity. A fluctuation in their value is not a concern but steady income is.

Case Example II - College Funding: One of my clients passed away and left a moderate legacy to his daughter. The daughter has two children – ages 9 and 13. We calculated that her and her husband could save enough for approximately half of a public college education (in future value dollars) for both children. To make up the difference, the inheritance was divided in half and invested in US Government Zero Coupon Bonds, with a maturity date being the beginning of the junior year of each child.

Zero Coupon Bonds are bought at a discount of their face value (as US Savings bonds are) and grow to that face value over their lives.

Conclusion; invest with an objective and with good, well informed reasoning.

Marty Telles is a personal finance professional and principal of The High Tide Group (www.thehightidegroup.com). He is passionate about assisting clients in planning for their financial needs and committed to their understanding of the principles that go into the planning process.
All written content in this blog is for information purposes only. Opinions expressed herein are solely those of The High Tide Group LLC, and our editorial staff. Material presented is believed to be from reliable sources; however, we make no representations as to its accuracy or completeness. All information and ideas should be discussed in detail with your individual adviser prior to implementation. The presence of this web site shall in no way be construed or interpreted as a solicitation to sell or offer to sell investment advisory services to any residents of any State other than the State(s) of New Jersey and New York or where otherwise legally permitted.

Baby Boomers (and older!) blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for "Empty Nesters" and those in (or near) retirement to share stories about the adventure of life in an online journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories from Baby Boomers (and older), or check out the writing contest for Baby Boomers, quotes about retirement, etiquette advice, videos about retirement, discounts for retirement, and other resources for those in the Empty Nest and Retirement stage of life.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your life experiences, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.

Enter National Writing ContestWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

Writing Competitions for All Ages

September 2014 Writing Contest Prompt:
  In 500 words or less, answer this question:  "Who Do You Think You Are?"

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter our writing contests.

Prizes:  Gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Blogging contest prize on StageofLife.com 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p