My Thoughts on Newtown: Where DO We Go From Here?

pammlofton
In September, I started teaching at the elementary school my four daughters attended when they were growing up. The opportunity presented itself and, being an empty nester with time on my hands, I jumped right on it. I have to say that, even before the most recent event, the thought of some psycho walking into the school with a gun had a place in the back of my mind. Following the Newtown incident, the thought has taken more of an up-front position. I also have to say that I have no idea what the answer is. I have no idea how to stop this madness.

Our district has taken steps towards making some changes, one of which involves putting an SRO officer at all schools instead of just the high schools. The first week following the shooting in Newtown, all elementary schools in our county had police officers on site. The mayor of the north area decided that they were going to make this a permanent situation. He is now under attack from various individuals as well as a group or two who are saying things like, “Having more guns is sending a mixed message.” I disagree.

The week that an officer was housed at our school, everyone felt safe and secure. The students did not mind one bit having him there. He was friendly, kind and took time to answer questions and make suggestions. Our students are taught that police officers are the good guys. The fact that he carries a gun did not send any sort of mixed messages or make faculty or students or parents feel threatened or afraid. On the contrary, everyone felt something akin to carefree.

I’m not sure how having guns in the hands of the good guys is a mixed message. If that is true, isn’t it a mixed message that police officers carry guns while on patrol? While walking their beats? While making arrests? Come on people. It’s a sad state of affairs that we live in a time when a major concern is the safety of our school children. But the fact is, this IS a concern. It IS a reality.

Personally, I believe that the mental health issues that need to be addressed will have a much greater effect on this problem than gun control. If we stopped allowing guns right now- the manufacturing/selling/owning/whatever of all of them---there would still be millions (at the very least) of guns and access to them. If someone wants to get a gun, that someone will be able to do so. Perhaps it is time to take a closer look at what makes someone want not only to access that gun but also to hurt and kill innocent children.

No, I don’t have the answers. But, until there are answers, I don’t mind having an officer on campus. A little peace of mind does make a difference. A visible, armed police officer does act as a deterrent.

Pam, you bring to the table some good points! Like you, I dont know the answer, but eliminating guns is just plain ignorance, in my opinion. We all forget the unexploded propane bottle at Columbine. Do we outlaw propane? And what about the high schooler last week whose house was searched and police found homemade bombs out of Copenhagen cans? Now we should outlaw chewing tabaco?! I feel that it took us, as society, a long time to get to this point. It's gonna take a long time to fix it! There is no instant cure and the sooner we start to delve into the issue productively, the sooner in time we will find the solutions! Great essay and thanks for sharing your thoughts!

-Greg Phillips
Editor, Stage Of Life
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2013 6:48:41 PM
Comment by pammlofton

Thanks. I wish I did have the answer. And you're right, it did take us a long time to get to this point and it'll take us a long time to figure it out. I'm still thinking that a long look at mental health in this country wouldn't be a total waste of time. But just ONE thing isn't going to be the answer. It rarely is.
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2013 9:27:28 PM
Comment by Girlboxer1970

I agree...having security or an officer on campus makes everyone feel safer.
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 4:25:32 PM
Comment by pammlofton

It really does. They are now considering them on a permanent basis. Since my lab is right in the front of the school, I'm grateful! :)
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 4:38:57 PM
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! Your essay has been chosen as the winner of our "Where do we go after the Newtown school shooting?" January writing contest for the Retirement life stage. We will be contacting you shortly via your provided email address with prize information.

We loved reading your essay and look forward to reading your future essays on StageofLife.com. Please continue to write for our contests!

-Nate DeRose
Writing Intern
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 6:39:01 PM
Comment by pammlofton

Thank you! I look forward to hearing from you and I love writing here almost as much as I enjoy reading what others are saying!
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 7:53:51 PM

Right on Pam! :-)

Greg Phillips
Editor, Stage Of Life
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 8:12:51 PM

Baby Boomers (and older!) blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for "Empty Nesters" and those in (or near) retirement to share stories about the adventure of life in an online journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories from Baby Boomers (and older), or check out the writing contest for Baby Boomers, quotes about retirement, etiquette advice, videos about retirement, discounts for retirement, and other resources for those in the Empty Nest and Retirement stage of life.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your life experiences, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.

StageofLife.com national writing contests

Writing ContestsWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

Enter writing contest

August 2014 Writing Contest Prompt:
  In 500 words or less, answer this question:  "What is your favorite (or least favorite) school memory?"

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter our writing contests.

Prizes:  Gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Blogging contest prize on StageofLife.com 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p