A Woman Votes

Miriam
2012 is a year to remember. The 113th Congress we elected will include more women than ever before, including women of all races and sexual orientation.

New Hampshire made a clean sweep with its female governor and all-female house delegation, joining its incumbent female senators. There were also many women taking state and local offices.

One of the most interesting presidential candidates was Jill Stein, of the Green Party. Hardly noticed in the Obama-Romney fracas, her platform pushed for clean manufacturing, renewable energy, organic agriculture, better teacher training and child care, beating the drum for more liberal solutions and attitudes. The nearly half million votes she received showed support for and, more important, interest in her causes.

As I waited my turn to vote, I remarked to the woman next in line that the 19th Amendment and I were the same age. She informed me that she was even older, born in 1917, and that her mother, an avid suffragette, always fumed over how long the process had taken. Why women had not been covered under the 14th Amendment, neither of us could fathom.

Later, I passed this tidbit of history to my 20-something granddaughter. She is too young to remember the bra-burning ladies who pushed for the silly defeated Equal Rights Amendment (silly because of its redundancy), so how could she possibly identify with a figure like Abigail Adams, whose famed response to her husband's "All men are created equal” was the cogent comment, "How about women, John?"

It began formally in July 1848 with Lucretia Mott and Elizabeth Cady Stanton at the first Women’s Rights Convention, convened in Seneca Falls, N.Y. Sojourner Truth, a black woman, spoke at the 1850 convention, addressing the connections between the woman’s movement and abolition. Shortly thereafter, Susan B. Anthony joined Stanton and Amelia Bloomer in campaigning for women’s suffrage and equal pay.

All this is ancient history, along with the stories of women jailed for chaining themselves to voting places. Those who went on hunger fasts were often force-fed to break their resolve. In the age of Madonna and Lady Gaga, it’s hard to believe the world was shocked by Amelia Bloomer and her scandalous undergarments. Imagine her in a Victoria's Secret ad.

Even the world scene has expanded since 1996, when Vigdís Finnbogadóttir, president of Iceland, formed the Council of Women World Leaders with 15 current and former heads of state. Now, nearly 50 members include Angela Merkel of Germany, Liberia's Ellen Johnson Sirleaf and Argentina's Cristina Fernández de Kirchner. Perhaps the United States and China will one day have representatives.

Great perspective! And thank you for a refresher on history. Something many youth of today know nothing about and arent taught in school. Like you, I am open to the many seats women won on this election. Maybe we do need a fresh breath of perspective in politics. Would be a welcome change to possibly see things progress in a positive manner!
Posted: Saturday, December 1, 2012 10:19:59 PM
Comment by Suzanne

I'm thinking of starting a "Miriam for President" campaign. Are you in?
Posted: Saturday, December 1, 2012 10:21:24 PM
Comment by Miriam

Thank you both. Would love to still be teaching. Years ago, after recounting anecdotes about Lincoln to my class. I was asked by one eighth grader whether I had gone to school with the great man. I must have been convincing
Posted: Sunday, December 2, 2012 12:47:31 PM
Comment by michness

Love this! Women have come a long way, and we're not tired yet!
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2012 10:09:26 AM

Baby Boomers (and older!) blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for "Empty Nesters" and those in (or near) retirement to share stories about the adventure of life in an online journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories from Baby Boomers (and older), or check out the writing contest for Baby Boomers, quotes about retirement, etiquette advice, videos about retirement, discounts for retirement, and other resources for those in the Empty Nest and Retirement stage of life.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your life experiences, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.

Enter National Writing ContestWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

Writing Competitions for All Ages

October 2014 Writing Contest Prompt:
  In 500 words or less, answer this question:  "What's Your Scar Story?"

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter our writing contests.

Prizes:  Gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Blogging contest prize on StageofLife.com 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p