Who Are These Lucky Retirees?

NancyMyMoves
A high school friend posted recently on Facebook that he and his partner were on a biking trip out west. They both retired from state government years ago and travel extensively. The kicker is that they’re MY age and I’m not in that official retirement age demographic. Personally, I can’t even get my head around the concept of retiring. Are people my age really moving to their dream retirement city, traveling and living la vida loca? And they’re able to afford living in housing that isn’t a van? Geesh, must be nice!

A Lucky Few

The majority of my friends who are my age have no idea when or even if they’ll be able to retire. Some of us are self-employed, some have had personal and professional setbacks and most of us don’t have the healthy retirement savings that would allow the move to the next life phase. I recently bought a book about how to retire overseas, which now gathers dust, untouched on my coffee table. At the time, I thought it would be inspirational/motivational and jump-start me planning a different path.

Of course it helps if you’ve worked in government and plan to receive those nice retirement packages or your company kicks into a 401 K and pension plan (that isn’t being whisked off to the Caymans…). But I know a lot of people who have left the corporate world, willingly or otherwise and we self-employed folks have to try crafting our own plans.

Best Retirement Areas

Many 50+ organizations and publications love to list “The 10 Best Places to Retire.” I enjoy reading those, sometimes for real research, but often for comic relief. Sure, I’ll take that oceanfront condo in Naples, FL. Will that come with cash prizes?

But at least some of these top choice lists are now using different real-world variables like affordability, “green” towns, college towns, cities for singles, etc. For me, the best retirement areas would be wherever I had choices about how much I worked or whether I had to work to survive comfortably, without constant worry about finances.

Restructuring/Relocating

My friends and I often talk about future restructuring of our lives with a better result in that work/personal life balance. We also talk about downsizing, relocating and moving to wherever. But most of these discussions are not likely to become realities any time soon. So they fall into a fantasy category. We don’t fantasize about living in an Italian villa (okay, I do) or on Maui. We talk longingly about our friends who have made it to retirement. “Wow, what must it be like to be retired?”

I wanted to let you know that we featured your essay on the Stage of Life Facebook page today. If you would like to check it, out go to http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stage-of-Life/70579036609 Feel free to share the news with your friends and family. You're famous! :)
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 3:11:06 PM

Baby Boomers (and older!) blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for "Empty Nesters" and those in (or near) retirement to share stories about the adventure of life in an online journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories from Baby Boomers (and older), or check out the writing contest for Baby Boomers, quotes about retirement, etiquette advice, videos about retirement, discounts for retirement, and other resources for those in the Empty Nest and Retirement stage of life.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your life experiences, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.

Enter National Writing ContestWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

Writing Competitions for All Ages

September 2014 Writing Contest Prompt:
  In 500 words or less, answer this question:  "Who Do You Think You Are?"

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter our writing contests.

Prizes:  Gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Blogging contest prize on StageofLife.com 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p