Going to the Supermarket

warren
I do most of our food shopping. That didn’t start when I retired; however, being retired, I’m not as rushed. I normally shop twice a week, stocking up on Fridays and filling in on Sundays. (When my wife, the chef, is on schedule, she assumes control of the kitchen on Saturday afternoons.)

The precise shopping times can be critical--too early, yesterday’s produce in disarray, restocking incomplete; too late, crowds.

Shopping Lists, Sales and Coupons

Like my mother, I wouldn’t shop without a list or without first checking sales prices. Unlike my mother, I follow my list and don’t run to different markets for items because of sale prices. I probably would if gas were still 25 cents a gallon.

That said, we live only 1 to 3 miles from five major supermarkets. Add a mile, add others. Ranking the markets in order of increasing everyday prices is easily done.

I faithfully cut coupons from newspaper inserts for items I would otherwise buy or try. I’ve mulled over online coupon sites but shy away from registering or installing a special printer. We don’t buy a large range of couponed items and I am sufficiently spammed.

The Shopping Moment

Unit pricing is great for comparing items, except when it doesn’t. What a quandary to find one paper towel unit-priced by sheet count and another by sheet area. What’s the common denominator of paper towels that offer variable size sheets?

Retired, I’m more tolerant of shoppers who haven’t passed the shopping-cart driving test and are oblivious to blocking entryways, aisles or whole floors. (Seniors get a special pass.) My new patience also extends to waiting in checkout lines.

I prefer to bag myself to speed the process, yet schmoozing is de rigueur, certainly with checkout people I’ve chatted with weekly for years. I sometimes get the chance to practice Spanish small talk, but I lost the opportunity to learn Hindi at the height of the recession, when many long-term, part-time employees were let go. I emailed my protest to that supermarket’s Contact Us and stopped shopping there for weeks.

Even when or where I’m new to the checkout person, there’s a schmooze threshold. It wasn’t that long ago that I shopped in a market where checkout people must ask, “Did you find everything you were looking for today?” How cheered she was when I responded, “Yes. How about you? Have you found everything you’re looking for today?”

Wrap Up

I don’t mind shopping for food. Now that I’m not pressed for time, I don’t even consider a self-checkout station. I’m sure they speed you along if you only have a few items, especially if all have barcodes. Whenever I look, though, somebody’s having a problem with one of them.

A clerk monitoring the stations once called me over so I’d avoid a particularly long line. She took me through the steps and, surprise! It didn’t go smoothly. No doubt, the station wanted to schmooze.

I expect I’ll have to use the stations eventually. I was slow to start pumping my own gasoline, too.
_______________________

Copyright 2011 by Warren R. Philipson. All Rights Reserved. A version of this blog post appeared on www.retired--nowwhat.blogspot.com, 14 October 2011

It's funny how different generations have changed their shopping habits in my family. I remember shopping with my grandma from time to time. She had no list and would go up one isle and down the other all the way to the end. My mom went in armed with a list, and would 'spot hop' the isles. My wife and I initially went in armed with a list and ran the 'grandma method' up and down each isle...for 10 years. Then, somehting changed. We started to eat better and our memories apparently sharpened because we were able to excercise the 'grandma method' complete with no list! Nowadays, we are eating so tremendously healthy that we have had to abandon grandma's way, still shop with no list, and skip entire isles because we just don't eat or buy what they are trying to sell us! Who would have ever thought....such a simple weekly chore could be such an adventure?! Great post!
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2011 7:35:44 AM
Comment by Guest

Posts: 2,760
Thank you. Keep up the healthy eating and have a wonderful 2012.
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2011 1:03:13 PM

Baby Boomers (and older!) blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for "Empty Nesters" and those in (or near) retirement to share stories about the adventure of life in an online journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories from Baby Boomers (and older), or check out the writing contest for Baby Boomers, quotes about retirement, etiquette advice, videos about retirement, discounts for retirement, and other resources for those in the Empty Nest and Retirement stage of life.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your life experiences, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.

StageofLife.com national writing contests

Writing ContestsWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

Enter writing contest

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter our writing contests.

Prizes:  SWAG package from StageofLife.com along with gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).  We also have the support from professionally published authors who donate autographed copies of their books or novels.

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Blogging contest prize on StageofLife.com 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p