Wanna Trade?

yinglink
I was walking from my house to my garage the other morning, to get my car and go to work. It was one of those cool, crisp mornings you can only experience in the Fall around 7:00ish. We live next to an alley and I saw one of my neighbors out walking his dog. I was struck by instantaneous jealousy.
I wanted to be the one out for a walk in my sweats on a beautiful autumn day. Obviously the guy was retired. Look how leisurely he is walking with his dog. I wanted to be retired instead of going to work.
So I blurted out, “Wanna trade places today”? He smiled and said, “Well, I wish I could. I’d like to be going to work.” He went on to explain that he had been in a motorcycle accident and had “bled out his brain”. Sounded really awful. Because of that, they took his license away temporarily so he couldn’t work. He was at the end of his twelve weeks of medical leave, and didn’t quite know what would happen next, but he needed a release from his doctor to go back.
Yeah, I put my foot in my mouth. How many times do we look at other people and assume they have it better than we do, and have ourselves a pity party because our lives are so bad? We really have no idea what life is like for those around us, particularly these days.
I got in my car and drove to work with an attitude of gratitude rather than the green eyed monster who was originally going to accompany me. Take some time to be more aware of others this Thanksgiving season and maybe even lend a hand to someone who wishes they could trade places with you.
Comment by dgabbard

Your message was received loud and clear! Often, we jealously eye others and begrudge them their perceived good luck. Little do we know that the "Joneses" often work long hours to keep on top of the mountain of debt they have created by always having the latest of everything-- cars, clothes, electronics, you name it. Having been one of "those people" for years, I can tell you that life is much simpler and less stressful since we made the decision that our health was more important than anything, and made adjustments to ensure it for the long term.
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2011 6:07:00 AM

Baby Boomers (and older!) blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for "Empty Nesters" and those in (or near) retirement to share stories about the adventure of life in an online journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories from Baby Boomers (and older), or check out the writing contest for Baby Boomers, quotes about retirement, etiquette advice, videos about retirement, discounts for retirement, and other resources for those in the Empty Nest and Retirement stage of life.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your life experiences, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.

StageofLife.com national writing contests

Writing ContestsWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

Enter writing contest

August 2014 Writing Contest Prompt:
  In 500 words or less, answer this question:  "What is your favorite (or least favorite) school memory?"

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter our writing contests.

Prizes:  Gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Blogging contest prize on StageofLife.com 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p